Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is it safe to run my 4th generation time capsule with a messed up disk

I bought a while back a 4th gen. time capsule and I've been having trouble keeping it with internet. If I ever restarted it off my ipad mini it would never bring back internet so I quit using it a while back and switched to an older time capsule. I've just started trying it again and its doing the same thing but this time I got a new warning saying that the internal disk needs repair. I just wanted to make sure that I didn't need to get this fixed as soon as I could or if thats for the time machine portion mainly which I can use my other time capsule, which is an older one and why I upgraded, if I can run without it.

4th gen. Time Capsule-OTHER

Posted on Sep 16, 2013 6:54 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 16, 2013 7:20 PM

If you have applecare on any computer and the TC is less than 3years old it might still be covered.. there are complex rules so ring Apple to find out.. but you should have done it immediately it went bad. Never wait.. you could have got it replaced for free if you pursued it.. even out of warranty they will sometime behave reasonably. Occasionally!!

You can run the TC with a dead disk in it.. but I would not recommend it..

If you really have no hope returning it.. open the TC and disconnect and remove the hard disk. There is nothing wrong with running it as an Airport Extreme which is what it is sans hard disk.. you can also replace the hard disk with another.

There are instructions for the older model here.

http://www.ifixit.com/Device/Apple_Time_Capsule

I would also go back to 7.5.2 if it is very old Gen 4.. more than 2years old.. or 7.6.1 for later ones, that cannot be flashed back that far.. it is still superior to later firmware. Just turn off the annoying reminder which is available via v5 utility if not v6.

Factory reset the TC and start over.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 16, 2013 7:20 PM in response to deltacommander

If you have applecare on any computer and the TC is less than 3years old it might still be covered.. there are complex rules so ring Apple to find out.. but you should have done it immediately it went bad. Never wait.. you could have got it replaced for free if you pursued it.. even out of warranty they will sometime behave reasonably. Occasionally!!

You can run the TC with a dead disk in it.. but I would not recommend it..

If you really have no hope returning it.. open the TC and disconnect and remove the hard disk. There is nothing wrong with running it as an Airport Extreme which is what it is sans hard disk.. you can also replace the hard disk with another.

There are instructions for the older model here.

http://www.ifixit.com/Device/Apple_Time_Capsule

I would also go back to 7.5.2 if it is very old Gen 4.. more than 2years old.. or 7.6.1 for later ones, that cannot be flashed back that far.. it is still superior to later firmware. Just turn off the annoying reminder which is available via v5 utility if not v6.

Factory reset the TC and start over.

Is it safe to run my 4th generation time capsule with a messed up disk

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.