Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail sometimes truncating my emails when I reply

i see this both in mac mail client and OL. Sometimes when i reply, it removes a lot of the original text in the email. this is easily rectified by trashing the messed up draft and trying the reply 'button' again. this is very annoying though as it usually happens multiple times/day. Any ideas?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2), Office 2011 for Mac - Outlook

Posted on Sep 16, 2013 6:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 16, 2013 6:50 PM

If you receive an email and select text in it, then click Reply, only the selected text will appear as "quoted text". So long as no text is selected, the reply will contain whatever you have selected in Mail / Preferences / Composing.

User uploaded file

12 replies

Oct 30, 2014 8:40 AM in response to qbcade23

I am just now having the same issue with mail.app 8.0 using Yosemite 10.10 as of 10-30-14. When clicking reply on an email the email was redacted. The first sentence and 1/2 followed by the last sentence and a portion. I rebooted and had the same problem with the same email. I checked the preferences pane and made sure that no text was selected. This does NOT happen when forwarding the same email. The email is just plain text with a single paragraph. I can see nothing special about it. This has not happened with any other email (so far) and I just tested about 10 email in my inbox. I am NOT using Outlook.

Nov 29, 2014 5:58 PM in response to Litag8r

I have PRECISELY THIS PROBLEM, Litag8r.

I'm running mail.app in Yosemite 10.10.1 as of 11/29/2014, but the bug dates back at least a month or two, as far as I've noticed. I suspect it started when I installed Yosemite this fall.

I can't find any pattern about which messages this happens to; it's happened to me about once a week for the last month or six weeks. The original email quoted in my reply will sometimes have chunks of it missing -- usually the middle of a sentence or paragraph.

It seems to happen independently of formatting, content, etc. In fact, I use mail.app to access two email accounts -- one IMAP account and one Exchange account -- and this bug happens with both of them, but only when I'm replying to emails using mail.app on Yosemite.

(It is clearly a mail.app issue as this never happens on my iPhone's mail application or in webmail.)

Jan 6, 2015 10:12 AM in response to CalistaB

Just chiming in to report that I have the same problem as CalistaB and Litag8r. Mail.app Version 8.1 (1993).

Also, toggling the preference that Eustace Mendis referred to, I found that it doesn't work. That is, regardless of what I set there, it always quotes the whole message (sometimes with half-eaten lines). Upon a restart of Mail, if I set it to quote selected text, the preference is reverted back to "quote all text". Very odd, not sure if related.

Apr 27, 2015 12:47 PM in response to Wayan_V

Yes, same issue here since updating from Mavericks to Yosemite. I use Apple mail for both Gmail and my work Exchange server. When I hit reply, the quoted text is about the first 1.5 sentences plus the last several words. Additionally, when I try to paste a text block into my email body from somewhere else, like Word or Chrome, only the first sentence or two pastes, the rest is blank. I cam past the entire text block into the To: or CC: line, and then copy it from there into the text body. It is so weird.

May 10, 2015 7:37 PM in response to Wayan_V

I found an email tonight that was truncated no matter what I did. Then I checked the box that says "Use the same format as the original message" and then the email wasn't truncated. So it seems that Mail now truncates whenever you force the response in plain text.

Well that solves one problem but now introduces another. I hate rich text emails. Ugh.

Mail sometimes truncating my emails when I reply

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.