Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Late 2008 Macbook - 10.8.5 software update - NO WIRELESS!

Hi, I'm throwing a fit. I updated to the 10.8.5 software a few days ago and it KILLED my wifi. I took my late 2008 macbook to Apple where they reinstalled the operating system. I mentioned to them that there are discussions on here about other users having their wifi killed after updating, specific to the late 2008 macbooks. The folks over at Apple clearly didn't like me telling them that. Anywho, they reinstalled the OS and it STILL doesn't work. They claim I need a new airport extreme? ***?

WHY? After I update my software and WIFI doesn't work, now I'm stuck? DID THE ENGINEERS IN CUPERTINO FORGOT TO TEST THE SOFTWARE UPDATE ON MACBOOK 2008 MODELS?

Why doesn't Apple have an official Facebook or Twitter? Oh right, so people like me can't publically complain?

Has anyone else brought their macbooks to Apple for this nonsense and actually had them fix it?

MacBook, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5), Late 2008 Macbook

Posted on Sep 16, 2013 8:09 PM

6 replies

Sep 16, 2013 10:35 PM in response to effpie

I had the same issue with a 15' Macbook Pro (late 2008) and the OS X 10.8.5 update, and was unable to resolve it with any of the tips listed. I had to go back to 10.8.4 and all is working fine now. There seem to be numerous threads from owners of Macbooks and Macbook Pros from late 2008 and the 10.8.5 update. I'm sure many are hoping it's fixed soon.

Here's a typical thread of the many evolving on the Apple Discussion Boards on this issue:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5306581

Oct 8, 2013 6:16 PM in response to xmyx

Hi all,

I have a fix!

just got off the phone with tier 2 apple tech support.

I have a mackbook 2008 and when I upgraded to 10.8.5 my wifi was completely broken.

Went through all of the typical reset PRAM, remove battery...etc.

Here is the fix:

Go to network prefs

remove the existing wifi configuration

select wifi

select the - (minus sign) at the bottom left of the window.

Select Shut Down from the Apple menu.

Restart the computer.

Open Network prefs and select the + (Plus sign) at the bottom left of the window

For me, WIfi connection was populated already.

Select Create

Go to the menu bar and you should now see all of your typical networks displayed.

Select your network.

Waallla! Sanity restored and your Macbook is back in action.

Have a great day!!

Late 2008 Macbook - 10.8.5 software update - NO WIRELESS!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.