Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I'm going to get the new iPhone 5S soon. I also have an iPad. I'm wondering is it best for each device to have the same Apple ID or should each device have a different ID? Pros? Cons? It seems like there is a conflict using iCloud for backup between the 2

Basically wondering if multiple devices should share the same ID or each to get their own. Such as, how it affects Facetime, backups to iCloud, etc. Thanks. Sorry for the long title.

iPad (3rd gen) Wi-Fi, iOS 6.0.1

Posted on Sep 16, 2013 9:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 16, 2013 9:38 PM

Hi matrixxzero,

In my opinion, you want to use the same Apple/iCloud/iTunes ID on both devices. That is exactly what iCloud is designed for - to keep devices with the same Apple ID in sync. Your Mail, Contacts, Calendars, Reminders, Safari Bookmarks, Notes, Photo Stream photos, and Documents will all be kept in sync if you have those options set up on both devices under Settings>iCloud.

Unless you have some reason to not want to have the same information on both devices, then going with a single ID on both is the way to go.

Cheers,

GB

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 16, 2013 9:38 PM in response to matrixxzero

Hi matrixxzero,

In my opinion, you want to use the same Apple/iCloud/iTunes ID on both devices. That is exactly what iCloud is designed for - to keep devices with the same Apple ID in sync. Your Mail, Contacts, Calendars, Reminders, Safari Bookmarks, Notes, Photo Stream photos, and Documents will all be kept in sync if you have those options set up on both devices under Settings>iCloud.

Unless you have some reason to not want to have the same information on both devices, then going with a single ID on both is the way to go.

Cheers,

GB

Sep 16, 2013 9:54 PM in response to gail from maine

Thank you, this helps a lot because I do want all apps shared, etc. I have noticed however that the "Notes" app has not merged properly. That is, some notes I added to my iPad have not shown up on my iPhone and vice versa. I use Notes a lot especially for logins and stuff like that so it is pretty important. I'm not certain how to fix this but thank you for your suggestion to keep the ID's the same. My iPhone 5 and iPad are currently the same but I wasn't certain it was the best idea but you cleared that up for me. Thank you!

I'm going to get the new iPhone 5S soon. I also have an iPad. I'm wondering is it best for each device to have the same Apple ID or should each device have a different ID? Pros? Cons? It seems like there is a conflict using iCloud for backup between the 2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.