Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My iPad says "No Service", why & what does this mean?

My iPad 2 says "No Service" in the top bar, why would this happen & what can I do to fix it. I never had a problem before?

iPad 2

Posted on Sep 17, 2013 2:04 AM

14 replies

Jun 16, 2017 7:03 AM in response to Frimmy

I had same problem with iPad that supports cellular. WiFi was still working. Turning off cellular was not the answer for me (even though it did get rid of the No Service status) because I was paying for AT&T cellular data and about to head off on a road trip. Powering the iPad off and restarting it solved the problem. The status switched from No Service to AT&T. Thank you to the person who suggested that. It should have been the first thing I tried!

Jun 11, 2016 7:35 AM in response to Frimmy

There are two types of iPads: Wi-Fi only, and Wi-Fi + Cellular. The former require a Wi-Fi hotspot in order to browse the web, get email, etc, while the latter can access the Internet from anywhere with cell service. It sounds like you have a cellular iPad, and you are either out of range of cell service or haven't signed up with a carrier. To get the No Service message to vanish, go to Settings and turn the Airplane Mode switch on. This will replace the No Service message with an unobtrusive airplane symbol, and may save battery life. You can always go back to Wi-Fi and Bluetooth settings and turn them back on even while Airplane Mode is on.

Alternatively you could sign up for service and have the convenience of accessing the Internet from anywhere. Then it'll display the name of your carrier up there instead. 🙂

My iPad says "No Service", why & what does this mean?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.