Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Setting up NAT on Airport Extreme

My Airport Extreme is set up in DHCP + NAT mode. It is distributing IP addresses on my LAN in the 10.0.x.x range. It is connected to the internet via an ADSL modem. This modem performs the necessary NAT functions for the networks to connect.

Soon I'm changing to a different ISP and will connect to the internet via cable. The modem/router that will be provided is distributing IP addresses in the 192.168.x.x. range. This modem is hardly configurable, e.g. the distributed IP address range cannot be changed. It is possible to put this modem/router in Bridge Mode.

I would like to keep my LAN set up in the 10.0.x.x IP address range. My solution would be to put the new modem/router in Bridge Mode and let the Airport Extreme provide the necessary NAT.

Does anyone know how to set up the NAT portion of an Airport Extreme for this particular situation? In short: The Airport Extreme will be connected to the WAN side via an IP address in the 192.168.x.x range, while the DHCP part of the Airport Extreme needs to distribute IP addresses to the LAN in the 10.0.x.x. range.

BTW, my Airport Extreme is 2nd generation, using Airport Utility 6.3.1 on Mac OS X 10.7.5.

Thanks in advance!

Airport Extreme (2nd generation)-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Sep 17, 2013 4:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 17, 2013 5:49 AM

My Airport Extreme is set up in DHCP + NAT mode. It is distributing IP addresses on my LAN in the 10.0.x.x range. It is connected to the internet via an ADSL modem. This modem performs the necessary NAT functions for the networks to connect.

The AirPort is providing NAT service...and....you say that the modem provides NAT service as well. What you have described is a network error known as Double NAT, since you only want one device on a network providing NAT service.

You can often get away with Double NAT on a simple home network, but it is best to avoid the error if possible.

Soon I'm changing to a different ISP and will connect to the internet via cable. The modem/router that will be provided is distributing IP addresses in the 192.168.x.x. range. This modem is hardly configurable, e.g. the distributed IP address range cannot be changed.

Now things will be even more complicated. The AirPort Extreme is providing DHCP and NAT. So too, will the modem router be providing DHCP and NAT. In addition to a Double NAT condition, you will have two devices both providing DHCP services. In effect, you will have two devices both trying to perform routing services on a network. You only want one device to provide routing services on a network.

It is possible to put this modem/router in Bridge Mode.

I would like to keep my LAN set up in the 10.0.x.x IP address range. My solution would be to put the new modem/router in Bridge Mode and let the Airport Extreme provide the necessary NAT.

Good plan, if "bridge mode" on the modem/router will really convert the device to act as a simple modem. That would be something that you need to find out from your ISP or the modem/router manufacturer.

In "bridge mode", DHCP and NAT are turned off.

Things would be much simpler and much better if your ISP could simply provide you with a simple modem....Not a modem/router.

Does anyone know how to set up the NAT portion of an Airport Extreme for this particular situation?

If the AirPort Extreme is doing DHCP and NAT as you state, then you are all set. No adjustments will be needed.

The Airport Extreme will be connected to the WAN side via an IP address in the 192.168.x.x range

No, this is not correct. A 192.168.x.x address is a "private" LAN side IP address. When you configure the modem/router correctly in bridge mode to act as a simple modem, the WAN port on the AirPort Extreme will receive a "public" IP address, which is what you want.

Remember, in "bridge mode", DHCP and NAT are turned off, so your "modem/router" will not be providing DHCP or NAT services at all.

The public IP address is dynamic....unless your ISP provides you with a "static" IP address. The public IP address could be virtually anything.....but it will never be 192.168.x.x or 10.0.x.x

while the DHCP part of the Airport Extreme needs to distribute IP addresses to the LAN in the 10.0.x.x. range.

Since you have the AirPort Extreme configured to provide DHCP and NAT, and the default setting for the AirPort is to use the 10.0.x.x range, devices on your "private" network will always receive an IP address in the 10.0.x.x range.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 17, 2013 5:49 AM in response to Peter MacGeek

The AirPort is providing NAT service...and....you say that the modem provides NAT service as well. What you have described is a network error known as Double NAT, since you only want one device on a network providing NAT service.

You can often get away with Double NAT on a simple home network, but it is best to avoid the error if possible.

Soon I'm changing to a different ISP and will connect to the internet via cable. The modem/router that will be provided is distributing IP addresses in the 192.168.x.x. range. This modem is hardly configurable, e.g. the distributed IP address range cannot be changed.

Now things will be even more complicated. The AirPort Extreme is providing DHCP and NAT. So too, will the modem router be providing DHCP and NAT. In addition to a Double NAT condition, you will have two devices both providing DHCP services. In effect, you will have two devices both trying to perform routing services on a network. You only want one device to provide routing services on a network.

It is possible to put this modem/router in Bridge Mode.

Good plan, if "bridge mode" on the modem/router will really convert the device to act as a simple modem. That would be something that you need to find out from your ISP or the modem/router manufacturer.

Things would be much simpler and much better if your ISP could simply provide you with a simple modem....Not a modem/router.

Does anyone know how to set up the NAT portion of an Airport Extreme for this particular situation?

If the AirPort Extreme is doing DHCP and NAT as you state, then you are all set. No adjustments will be needed.

The Airport Extreme will be connected to the WAN side via an IP address in the 192.168.x.x range

No, this is not correct. A 192.168.x.x address is a "private" LAN side IP address. When you configure the modem/router correctly in bridge mode to act as a simple modem, the WAN port on the AirPort Extreme will receive a "public" IP address, which is what you want.

Remember, in "bridge mode", DHCP and NAT are turned off, so your "modem/router" will not be providing DHCP or NAT services at all.

The public IP address is dynamic....unless your ISP provides you with a "static" IP address. The public IP address could be virtually anything.....but it will never be 192.168.x.x or 10.0.x.x

while the DHCP part of the Airport Extreme needs to distribute IP addresses to the LAN in the 10.0.x.x. range.

Since you have the AirPort Extreme configured to provide DHCP and NAT, and the default setting for the AirPort is to use the 10.0.x.x range, devices on your "private" network will always receive an IP address in the 10.0.x.x range.

Sep 17, 2013 6:06 AM in response to Bob Timmons

Wow Bob,

What an extensive and very helpful answer!

Allow me to bounce a few things your way:

Indeed, Airport Utility is warning me about a "Double NAT" situation. In the new set up, with the new modem / router in Bridge Mode, this situation will no longer exist 🙂

Alas, no luck on a simple modem with my ISP 😁 They provide a standard modem / router. I've already been informed this can be put in Bridge Mode, but I will double check to verify it acts as a simple modem, with DHCP and NAT turned off. Thanks for the heads up.

See, this is where I went wrong in my thinking. Thanks for helping me pushing my technical knowledge along!

Do I need to do anything with the Airport Utility > Network > Network Options... settings, i.e. the check box at Enable NAT Port Mapping Protocol and the checkbox and entry at Enable default host at ?

Bob, your help has been invaluable. It's much appreciated!

Best regards, Peter

Sep 17, 2013 6:16 AM in response to Peter MacGeek

Do I need to do anything with the Airport Utility > Network > Network Options... settings, i.e. the check box at Enable NAT Port Mapping Protocol and the checkbox and entry atEnable default host at ?

No

Do you know the make and model of the modem/router that your ISP will be providing?

Unfortunately, "Bridge Mode" can mean different things to different manufacturers. So, unless you are very lucky, expect some challenges with bridge mode on the modem/router.

Ultimately, if it is not possible to configure the modem/router as a true simple modem, then the AirPort Extreme is the device that will need to be configured to operate in bridge mode.

Sep 17, 2013 7:00 AM in response to Bob Timmons

Do I need to do anything with the Airport Utility > Network > Network Options... settings, i.e. the check box at Enable NAT Port Mapping Protocol and the checkbox and entry atEnable default host at ?

No

Sorry, I stated my question a little ambiguous (since I can't remember any more what Apple's defaults were for those check boxes). So, one more time: Do the check boxes need to be checked or not? And obviously, if the second check box needs to be checked, what address needs to be entered?

Do you know the make and model of the modem/router that your ISP will be providing?

Unfortunately, "Bridge Mode" can mean different things to different manufacturers. So, unless you are very lucky, expect some challenges with bridge mode on the modem/router.

I just double checked with my ISP. Apparently, there is a choice of models that the installation guy will bring. I'll discuss it upon installation and pick the most applicable one.

Ultimately, if it is not possible to configure the modem/router as a true simple modem, then the AirPort Extreme is the device that will need to be configured to operate in bridge mode.

And this is what I'm trying to avoid. I have an extensive home network set up already, with part wired and part wireless connections. When the DHCP functionality needs to shift to the new modem / router, I need to set it up all over again (and I also don't like the fact that most of those modem / routers only work in the 192.168.x.x range). And, being an all Apple guy, I like Airport Utillity to manage the whole thing 🙂

Once again, thanks for your quick answers!

Sep 17, 2013 11:53 AM in response to Peter MacGeek

Do the check boxes need to be checked or not?

Not unless you need to enable Port Mapping and/or a Default Host.

It does not hurt to enter a check mark next to Enable Port Mapping Protocol, but it won't help either. Leave the Default Host area blank unless you need to set up a Default Host, which other manufacturers call a DMZ.

Apparently, there is a choice of models that the installation guy will bring. I'll discuss it upon installation and pick the most applicable one.

Since you have the make and model numbers handy, it would be a good idea to download the Setup Guide or Installation Manual for your "short list" and try to find out whether one of them talks about conversion to simple bridge mode modem operation. The fact that a modem/router might be able to turn off DHCP and NAT does not necessarily make it function as simple modem.

Next, you'll want to confirm with the ISP that things will be supported if you modify the modem/router.....before....you try to reconfigure the device. You may be told by your ISP that they do not offer support that type of installation, so there will be no help in the event of Internet connection problems.

A simple modem....if the ISP will support it......will just make life tons easier, since you won't have to fool with trying to reconfigure a device that was probably never designed to function just as a modem.

I guess if worse comes to worse, you could think about running a Double NAT setup with two routers, but normally you would want to avoid this if possible, since Double NAT can be unpredictable on a network. And, if you plan to add an online gaming console, or need to set up port mapping for other devices, Double NAT will basically destroy things.

Good luck, let us know how things turn out.

Sep 17, 2013 12:06 PM in response to Bob Timmons

Thanks Bob,

All is understood! This is probably the most extensive and complete answer I've ever received on any subject in a forum or discussion platform. Amazing, I feel priviliged 😊

I feel more questions emerging, but they go beyond the scope of the original problem and are not necessary for the upcoming solution, so I'll leave them for some future discussion 😉

Good luck, let us know how things turn out.

Thanks, and I know more after next week's Tuesday. I make sure to report back!

All the best!

Oct 19, 2013 11:56 AM in response to Peter MacGeek

Hello Bob,

A while ago I promised to report back. Well, I'm here to do just that...

Of course the installation guy did not bring several router models to choose from, nor did he ever hear of "putting the router in bridge mode". So much for support from the ISP / cable provider. Little side step (caution, rant mode on): Was I sorta expecting this? Yes. Is it the first time that something was promised by telephone support only to find out in practice that things are / will be different? No. Am I the only one? **** no! Why do we keep up with this? (Rant mode off).

What I got is a Cisco EPC3928AD EuroDocsis 3.0 2-PORT Apps Voice Gateway (with specific firmware for my ISP) . It provides internet access (as a cable modem and router) and VoIP (telephone) service.

I managed to keep my Apple home LAN setup as it was. The Cisco modem does not have a bridge mode, so I disabled its DHCP server. I connected my Airport Extreme to the CIsco using a static connection. Using Airport Utility I filled out the IP addresses in the Airport Extreme for the IPv4 Address, Subnet Mask, Router Address and DNS Servers. The IPv4 Address and the Router Address are both in the 192.168.x.x. range. The Router Mode for the Airport Extreme is DHCP and NAT, and is handing out addresses for my LAN in the 10.0.x.x range.

All works fine. I get only one (expected) warning: Double NAT. But I think I can safely disregard that. Or should I switch the Airport Extreme's Router Mode to DHCP? I can't find anything in the Cisco setup related to NAT.

Once again, best regards, Peter

Oct 19, 2013 12:09 PM in response to Peter MacGeek

All works fine. I get only one (expected) warning: Double NAT. But I think I can safely disregard that. Or should I switch the Airport Extreme's Router Mode to DHCP? I can't find anything in the Cisco setup related to NAT.

The DHCP "only" mode on the AirPort was intended to be used where your ISP has provided you with multiple Public IP addresses that you want to distribute to clients on the local network. This mode would not be what you would want to use in this configuration.

I'm surprised that the Cisco was not more versatile from an Administrator's perspective as all of the ones I have dealt with are quite accomodating. Maybe it is because your ISP has restricted any customer administration for the devices that they provide.

Oct 19, 2013 12:56 PM in response to Peter MacGeek

All works fine. I get only one (expected) warning: Double NAT. But I think I can safely disregard that.

Well, if all works fine, then maybe you can disregard the Double NAT warning and get away with it.

But, if you try to connect an online gaming console or configure port mapping on the AirPort, then things will not work correctly with a Double NAT error on the network.

I am not familiar with the particular Cisco model that you have, but if it is really a gateway as described, then it is providing DHCP and NAT services for the network. If that is the case, and you find that the Double NAT error is creating some problems on the network, then you can solve the Double NAT issue by setting up the AirPort Extreme to operate in Bridge Mode.

May 16, 2016 1:08 PM in response to barbs11

Thank you very much barbs11! It's not often one gets compliments so late after the fact. You're so kind. 😊

Bob Timmons (especially) and Tesserax have been very helpful to address my questions. 😀

I'm happy to say my setup hasn't changed. Even after several firmware and speed upgrades to the Cisco modem (now running at 150Mb/s down / 15 Mb/s up) my network continues to run smoothly. 😎

Setting up NAT on Airport Extreme

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.