Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't move my iPhoto library to external hard drive?

Tried to move my iPhoto library to my external hard drive, but got an error message.

MACBOOK, iWorks08

Posted on Sep 17, 2013 4:08 AM

9 replies

Sep 17, 2013 4:17 AM in response to NorthernMD

This is our resident iPhoto guru, Terence Devlin's, advice:

You can move your iPhoto Library to an external disk or new Mac:

1. Quit iPhoto

2. Copy the iPhoto Library Folder as an entity from your Pictures Folder to the External Disk.

3. Hold down the option (or alt) key while launching iPhoto. From the resulting menu select 'Choose Library' and navigate to the new location. From that point on this will be the default location of your library.

4. Test the library and when you're sure all is well, trash the one on your internal HD to free up space.

Sep 17, 2013 5:07 AM in response to NorthernMD

The -36 error is an i/o one and basically it means that the Finder has found some file or other that it can't copy becuase it's damaged or has incorrect permissions or somesuch.

The most simple workaround is to use a back up application to copy the Library over. Any back up app that stores in the library the same format will do - for instance Chronosync (http://www.econtechnologies.com/pages/cs/chrono_overview.html) - but there are many others. Many will have a free trial too...

Feb 24, 2014 2:08 PM in response to Yer_Man

Hi Folks

Terence's advices are a treasure. I too have iPhoto 11 library - holding some 10000 pics - and for organisational reasons, I am looking to transfer part of this library to another newly created (as yet empty) library on this same drive. I have no iPhoto library manager and so I am keen to learn of best way to move this segment of photos - I would be so grateful for your help. Thank you very much

Can't move my iPhoto library to external hard drive?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.