Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Messages on Mountain Lion unable to send messages

Hi guys I'm hoping you might be able to help me as I've been unable to fix this myself but to be honest, there isn't much more I could think of doing.

I have Messages installed as part of Mountain Lion and it's been working fine until very recently. I can't remember when but about a week ago, it stopped working. I haven't really done anything out of the ordinary, though I did run the maintenance section of Onyx recently.

I can't seem to send any messages from Messages, though it does download the transcript if I'm using my iPhone (which is logged in to this as well).

The steps I've tried are:

1. Logging out, then back in again.

2. Logging out, restarting and logging in again.

3. Updating OS and setting to Airport (from 10.8.4 to 10.8.5 and the firmwire for my previous gen Airport Express)

The Airport Express is connected to another router which my brother uses for ethernet connection to the internet and as I mentioned, everything was working fine until recently.

In my search for answers I saw someone ask for a console log, so I have pasted mine directly following a message sending attempt. It can be found here: http://pastebin.com/T1s0bE8g

I am REALLY REALLY appreciative of any assistance anyone provides, so many times I've been looking for an answer and it's been deep within these forums.

Thanks in advance!

MacBook Air (11-inch Mid 2012), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Sep 17, 2013 4:57 AM

1 reply

Sep 17, 2013 11:01 AM in response to marcuslastname

Take each of the following steps that you haven't already tried until the issue is resolved. Back up all data before making any changes.

Step 1

Check the status of the service. If it's down, wait tor it to come back up. There may be a localized outage, even if the status indicator is green.

Step 2

Check that the date (including the year) and time shown by your system clock are correct.

Step 3

Restart your router and broadband device, if different.

Step 4

If you connect to the Internet through a SOCKS proxy server, follow the instructions in this support article, or deselect the proxy entirely.

Step 5

Boot in safe mode and try again.

Step 6

Make sure Parental Controls aren't active for your account.

Step 7

Follow the instructions in this support article to change your DNS settings.

Step 8

If possible, test on a different network, such as a public Wi-Fi hotspot or the cellular network of your phone.

Messages on Mountain Lion unable to send messages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.