Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

turn off internet sharing remotely?

Was experimenting using remote login and internet sharing before going on vacation. Now away from home, find my home server was left on and it appears

in my shared device list. To my surprise, could log in remotely and access all my home files. Questions are: (1) can anyone connected to the hotel's wifi network connect to it as well, and (2) Is there any way to remotely turn off internet sharing? Am really concerned that I could connect as "guest."

MacBook Air, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on Sep 17, 2013 5:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 17, 2013 6:06 AM

It sounds like the remote service you used is Apple's "Back to my Mac" feature, which requires anyone connecting to have your icloud user id and password. This means that your system should be safe provided your password and icloud accounts are secured.

3 replies

Sep 17, 2013 2:01 PM in response to CrabCatcher

Topher,

Thanks for looking at my problem but don't use "back to my Mac" and only use iCloud to back up some files more as an accident than with intention.

Found my home server in Finder as a shared

device along with a handfull of people staying at the hotel. When I double clicked on my server's name I was connected to my file system at home. I freaked out when I saw that I was logged in as guest and could access my files. Asked my daughter to go by the house and shutdown the system that night. She did so and the server name disappeared from shared device list in Finder. This morning the server was back and accessible in Finder and my files were accessible. Assume she shutdown the system as she was asked to do but she is not Mac oriented and could have not done it properly. I have Time Machine scheduled to run daily which I understand can

bring a server up from the sleep mode. Not actually shutting it down and Time Machine kicking off could explain

the servers reappearance. Anyway, asked her to Unplug the system today which she did and my remote emergency is abated. Evidently, when I was experimenting with remote operation before leaving home, I had left all the sharing options checked on the home server.

Thanks for surfacing the "back to my Mac" and iCloud possible connections. I need to dig deeper into remote capabilities and vulnerabilities and you helped.

turn off internet sharing remotely?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.