Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is daisy chaining on a macbook air through the thunderbolt to Firewire 800 adaptor possible?

Hello,

I am attempting to daisy chain two Glyph portagig 50's and connect them to my MacBook Air. They are both 1TB, 7200RPM drives and are both connected to external power. When I attempt the daisy chain only the first drive mounts and when I attempt to connect the second drive to it, the first (mounted) drive ejects and the second drive does not mount. Both drives need to be turned off and on again in order for either to be remounted.

I contacted Glyph and they have said that it is most likely a problem with the Thunderbolt to FW800 adaptor. Which leads me to wonder whether or not daisy chaining through the adaptor is even possible.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

My MacBook Air is a mid-2011 model with a 1.8GHz Core i7 processor and 4GB of RAM, if that helps at all.

Thank you!

MacBook Air, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Sep 17, 2013 8:33 AM

3 replies

Sep 17, 2013 9:44 AM in response to GeorgeFlick

GeorgeFlick

They are both 1TB, 7200RPM drives and are both connected to external power.

Eeeek, dont do that anymore. 2.5" dont need power, and daisy chaining them BOTH thru thunderbolt, your Air is likely kicking one because youre mostly likely sending feedback THRU the firewire.

Some inventive folks unknowingly have powered (3.5" need power, 2.5" DONT) 2.5" thru USB and found out the hard way they deep fried circuitry.

Is daisy chaining on a macbook air through the thunderbolt to Firewire 800 adaptor possible?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.