Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Will VGA cable work on TV's RGB port?

The HDMI connection between my Mini (late 2011 model) and my HDTV has malfunctioned and resulted in a "no signal" on the TV screen. I tried 4 other HDMI cables and got the same result. I'm deducing that the issue is the HDMI port on either the TV or Mini.

I'm going to buy a Thunderbolt to HDMI cable (in case the issue is the Mini's HDMI port). I'd also like to get a HDMI to VGA cable (in case the issue is the TV's HDMI port).

However, my TV has what I call a VGA port labelled as RGB (D-SUB). Will a VGA cable work on this port?

Also, if I'm using the TV's VGA port, is there any quality difference between using HDMI or Thunderbolt on the Mini?

Thanks in advance.

Mac mini, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Sep 17, 2013 10:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 17, 2013 10:57 AM

This says they are the same

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VGA_connector

You will need a separate audio connection to the TV since VGA does not included audio.

I would not expect any real difference with using VGA vice HDMI.

2 replies

Will VGA cable work on TV's RGB port?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.