Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trying to clean up desktop folders by moving them to finder...

Hello guys, Im a little confused and need some clarification. I have a Macbook Pro OS X 10.8.4

Here is what I'm trying to do...

I have a few folders on my desktop, would like to move these folders into my finder icon and under favorites. If I drag a folder into finder, then delete desktop folder, I'm then unable to open/view any files.

I want to move my desktop folders into Finder, then get rid of these desktop folders to have zero folders on my desktop.

Looking for step by step on how to do this, thank you!

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Sep 17, 2013 1:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 8, 2017 6:39 AM

In macOS Sierra, you can move them to 'your name' folder in the finder. And then delete it off the desktop. So for example, I copied True Detective on the computer and it went straight on the desktop. So I then created a folder called Series, in the 'my name" folder under favourites in the finder. I then copied all the files of True Detective from the desktop into the Series folder. I then deleted the True Detective folder from the desktop. The files open fine.

To make the Series folder even more accessible, I make a shortcut under Favourites in the Finder.

I know I'm 4 years late in answering this question, but in case this helps anyone else. Cheers!

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 8, 2017 6:39 AM in response to poncer1971

In macOS Sierra, you can move them to 'your name' folder in the finder. And then delete it off the desktop. So for example, I copied True Detective on the computer and it went straight on the desktop. So I then created a folder called Series, in the 'my name" folder under favourites in the finder. I then copied all the files of True Detective from the desktop into the Series folder. I then deleted the True Detective folder from the desktop. The files open fine.

To make the Series folder even more accessible, I make a shortcut under Favourites in the Finder.

I know I'm 4 years late in answering this question, but in case this helps anyone else. Cheers!

Dec 8, 2017 4:46 PM in response to wwatkins3

This forum is for very old versions of OS X.

Your problem, hardware or software, may not be exactly the same as that of the original poster of this older thread, and it can be very confusing for everybody if we try to answer more than one question in each thread, which can also result in you applying the wrong advice to your particular problem.

In order for us to give your problem our proper attention to try to solve it, would you kindly start your own thread, describing the trouble you are having in the fullest detail, including completing your details to show what Mac or iDevice you are using, what operating system, and what version of the application in question. Please remember to post in the forum relevant to your hardware or version of OS X. A full list of all the support forums is here:

http://discussions.apple.com/index.jspa

Sep 17, 2013 1:08 PM in response to poncer1971

Firstly, you cannot delete the Desktop folder. It's required by OS X. You can move your folders on the Desktop to a suitable location in one of the folders in your Home folder such as Documents, for example. If you wish to access them from the Finder's sidebar, then after you have relocated them, select a folder and drag it into the Finder's sidebar.

Trying to clean up desktop folders by moving them to finder...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.