Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Remember! You can't go back to iOS 6!

In an attempt to head off the usual outraged posts, please remember thay once you install iOS 7 you CANNOT go back to iOS 6 no matter what some techie tells you. If you plan to update your iPad to iOS 7 make sure you and your apps are ready for it. Make sure you understand the changes that iOS 7 brings to the table. This is no maintenance update. This is a major re-engineering with major changes in the look and feel. Some of your apps may need updating. Some devlopers may not be ready, most will.

Remember the bottom line! Once you go to iOS 7 you cannot downgrade to iOS 6 if you don't like it or if you have issues with some of your apps. You will not be able to take your iPad to the Apple store and ask them to downgrade you to iOS 6.

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5), iPad 2 iOS (6.1.3)

Posted on Sep 17, 2013 12:52 PM

27 replies

Sep 17, 2013 2:59 PM in response to lkrupp

Also:

Do a full backup of your device first, preferably to your computer rather than iCloud since a computer backup is more comprehensive.

Make sure that your contacts are saved in a contact manager on your computer, or in an online account (iCloud, Yahoo, GMail, etc.) If your contacts only exist on your iOS device, these may not be recovered from your backup.

Have patience. Apple servers are going to be slammed tomorrow!

Sep 17, 2013 3:29 PM in response to lkrupp

Be aware that not all features of iOS7 will be available to all devices that support the update.

Notably, older generation devices will get less features. mainly iPad 2 and iPhone 4s.

Also its worth repeating BACKUP your device before updating. Even if its only on iCloud its better than not backing up at all.

And lastly: No one knows the exact time of day for its release. When it is released, you will get a notification on your device for it.

Do not come here and post about how you don't have it yet. and its already 4 a.m.

Sep 19, 2013 6:04 PM in response to Gmanner

Gmanner wrote:

Why? With all the bad reviews, complaints, and etc. You should allow it. Apple will lose customers if they are unsatisfied. Would Apple really risk losing thousands, if not millions of dollars just to prove a point? Yes you warned us, but show some sympathy. Otherwise Apple will face a huge drop in prices.

First of all you are not speaking to Apple here. We are just users like yourself. Now you need to get your mind right. There will be no downgrade. There never has been since the day in 2007 when iOS appeared. And spare us the melodramatics about what will happen to Apple if they don't cowtow to your wishes.

Sep 20, 2013 8:57 AM in response to Johnathan Burger

Yeah I don't get it either. the new UI design has been on Apple's home page for a couple months now, and on every tech blog out there I'm sur. Heck even a image search on google should bring back hundreds of images for it

Its hard to believe people blindly update without so much as going to the website of the manufacturer to take a peak.

And the reasons the yare giving range for the utterly preposterous, "Its not deep red" to the completely mistifying. "Its very femenine" .

*Sigh* 😐

Sep 20, 2013 10:06 AM in response to Phil0124

Apple built a reputation for quality well thought through interface and the system that just "works". So yes, I am ashamed to admit that I told my wife to just go ahead and update her iPad because, hey, it's Apple. If it was MS I'd be much more careful upfront.

I learned my lesson though - with Jobs gone (may he rest in peace) Apple is now run by stupid committees lacking imagination, foresight, common sense and taste.

Sep 20, 2013 10:15 AM in response to firebomb

Surface aesthetics are only about 10% of the new IOS7, the remaining 90% are upgrades for APP infrastructure which will support expansive APPs and capacities unrealized in the former IOS.

Consider the 90% in light of the 10% aesthetic you find subjectively unpleasing. 😊

its like taking an older car and repainting it a new color, but throwing in a far more powerful engine, and faster tires and supercharger.

While some may stand back and say "Ehh, I dont like the new color"

......the technologists will open the hood and proclaim "My goodness, look at that engine and manifold, this is one fine machine" 😍

I suggest considering "whats under the hood" when it comes to the new IOS7 if you're not so fond of the "paint job" 😁

Sep 20, 2013 11:25 AM in response to Gmanner

GManner,

Seriously?!!!

If people are having problems with their upgrades and if someone can help prevent others from possibly dealing with the same problems, in some cases rendering their ipads useless, they should shut up?

Seriously?!!! You don't think that a company who puts out products or anything affiliated with those products should have to answer to their customers?

Seriously?!!! Show some sympathy??? Apple's prices will drop? I think you meant profits because there is probalby not a person anywhere who would not love Apple's prices to drop.

Companies have an obligation to give their customers the best if they want ot keep them and have them come back to spend more money, thereby increasing a company's products.

And I don't think the millions who are having issues regarding the update are or should be worried about Apple's profits.

The morning this update came out I texted my sons not to upgrade and they didn't. Not once was I concerned about Apple and their profits.

If you drank the kool-aid... Nothing and no one is perfect and putting on blinders and accepting mediocrity is something I choose not to do.

Sep 20, 2013 11:48 AM in response to PlotinusVeritas

I suggest considering "whats under the hood" when it comes to the new IOS7 if you're not so fond of the "paint job" 😁

The "paint job" is a visual experience of using the system. Not just a pretty interface (which, believe it or not, creates user experience and is an important part of using the product), but also the ease of reading (which was great and is not so great anymore with ligther fonts and skinnier controls on lighter backgrounds). It was also a major selling point for Apple - "honey, look how pretty it is and how easy it is to read !" Gone.

Let's see what's under the hood ?

- A new "control panel". Honestly, so what. My Android phone had this for years, and if my Apple didn't get it, it wouldn't be the end of the world. It's just a few controls, not like it's something revolutionary.

- The global search is now gone. If I need to find something on the web, I have to start browser first. Hello, Apple, it's 2013, not 1995.

- The system is slower. I know many will jump up and say it's all in my head or I am making it up, but the system is slower. I have an iPad 3 with Retina, so it's not that old. Sometimes there's lag. Sometimes (like changing wall paper) there's lots of lag.

If I missed something revolutionary here, please let me know.

Remember! You can't go back to iOS 6!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.