Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My IMAC freezes everytime I get on Facebook & Craigslist

Over 6 months ago I maxed out my RAM and I upgrade to the newest software Mountain Lion hoping to speed things up a little. My mac is a early 2008. It was getting slower by the day but I never had any problems with facebook or craigslist before and now within the last week and a half it freezes when I get on them. I restart it sometimes up to 4 x a day and it still doesn't help. I turn off my computer and unplug it every night but it is very slow. I have gone thru it deleteing things I haven't used to help free up space and I even run MacKeeper everyday and nothing has helped. My daughter tells me it's time to get a new Mac but I'm disabled and can't afford a new one. I don't do anything but play some games on it, any help would be greatly appreciated.

P.S It kept freezing up while writing this too. So FRUSTRATING

iMac (20-inch Early 2008), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Sep 17, 2013 2:46 PM

6 replies

Sep 17, 2013 4:15 PM in response to tybeedreaming

tybeedreaming wrote:

Over 6 months ago I maxed out my RAM and I upgrade to the newest software Mountain Lion hoping to speed things up a little. My mac is a early 2008. It was getting slower by the day but I never had any problems with facebook or craigslist before and now within the last week and a half it freezes when I get on them. I restart it sometimes up to 4 x a day and it still doesn't help. I turn off my computer and unplug it every night but it is very slow. I have gone thru it deleteing things I haven't used to help free up space and I even run MacKeeper everyday and nothing has helped.

Get rid of MacKeeper. It is nearly certain to have caused the problems you describe.

Follow these instructions exactly as written:

• If you used MacKeeper to encrypt any files or folders, use MacKeeper to un-encrypt them.
  • Quit the MacKeeper app if it is running.
  • Open your Applications folder: Using the Finder's Go menu, select Applications.
  • Drag the MacKeeper icon from your Applications folder (not the Dock) to the Trash.

You will be asked to authenticate (twice):

User uploaded file

You do not need to provide a reason for uninstalling it:

User uploaded file

Click the Uninstall MacKeeper button. You will be asked to authenticate again.

After it uninstalls you may empty the Trash. All that will remain is an inert log file that does nothing but occupy space on your hard disk.

Next: Test your Mac for operation. If it is still exhibiting problems, you may need to undo damage that occurred as a result of using MacKeeper. At the extreme this could include erasing your Mac and rebuilding your system from the ground up. Hopefully you maintained a Time Machine or other suitable backup prior to installing that garbage.

Never install MacKeeper or anything like it, ever again.

Sep 18, 2013 10:31 AM in response to John Galt

I uninstalled Mackeeper and sent it to the trash, then I emptied like u said. I restarted my mac and it took forever to restart. It keeps stopping and starting, then I went to FB and it froze up again. I guess I'm going to have to erase everything and start all over. I do have all my files backed up on a separate device. Now I'm NOT computer savvy at all so u will have to walk me thru how I erase it all and put it back.

Sep 19, 2013 7:00 AM in response to tybeedreaming

tybeedreaming wrote:

... I guess I'm going to have to erase everything and start all over.

The damage inflicted upon OS X as a result of having used MacKeeper is unknown. It can be extensive, so determining and rectifying each individual damaged or missing component can be a daunting task. Short of reverting to a backup created prior to using it, erasing everything is the only practicable way of ensuring your system can be returned to reliable operation.

To erase everything and start over follow the procedures in the following: What to do before selling or giving away your Mac

It is not necessary to deauthorize your computer of sign out of iCloud though, since the iMac will remain in your possesion.

Subsequent to that procedure, restore your backed up work files and other documents. Programs should be reinstalled from their original sources - their original installation discs, or downloaded from their developers' websites or the App Store.

My IMAC freezes everytime I get on Facebook & Craigslist

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.