Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

May different module RAM damage MacBook ?

Hello everyone

I have decided upgrade my Mid 2012 MacBook Pro (MD101) RAM

Default is 2*2GB = 4GB RAM

I would like just install one 8GB Crucial RAM 1600MHz module in one slot

8GB Crucial RAM + 2GB default Apple RAM = 10 GB

I know matched pair of module is better but by this plan if I need In future can buy another 8GB and upgrade to 16GB

my question is :

May this configuration with different module will damage my MBP or impact performance?

Whether this (8GB+2GB=10GB RAM) with different brand will better than (2*4GB=8GB RAM) with same brand and matched pair of modules?

Thanks in advance for your answers

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on Sep 17, 2013 2:46 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 17, 2013 2:49 PM

It will not damage anything. Performance will be adversely affected. RAM should always be installed in matched pairs that meet the required specs.

8 replies

Mar 11, 2014 5:09 PM in response to iHamed's iPhone

Matched pairs of RAM (two identical chips) will run faster than a single chip, or two different chips. However, having more RAM is better than having less RAM, so I would personally prefer 8 + 2 GB to 4 + 4 GB. Either way, the difference won't be big. You should compare the cost as well.

But you may plan a bit further: If you buy one 8GB chip right now and decide next year that you want 16GB, then you don't lose any money. If you upgrade to 2x4 GB now and later decide you want 16GB, you lose the money for the two 4GB chips.

May different module RAM damage MacBook ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.