Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is it safe to delete my pictures from Cameral Roll and how do I do this?

I have read some of the threads on what the difference is between Camera Roll and iPhone Library. I am about out of storage space on my iPhone, so I need to make room. I have 2680 pix in my Camera Roll, so I am assuming that if I delete them, I will free up space for other stuff. Two questions:

-In asking if it is safe to delete them, I want to be sure that if I delete them from the Camera Roll, that I do not actually lose them because they are in my iPhoto Library?

-If it is safe, I want to know how to delete them from the Camera Roll, because I can't seem to figure it out?

Thanks, KayDeeCee :-)

iPhone 4

Posted on Sep 17, 2013 4:19 PM

25 replies

Sep 17, 2013 4:26 PM in response to Kaydeecee

Photos in the Camera Roll are not in the photo library. You need to import the pictures to the computer, via whatever software program you would import pictures from a digital camera. See this support document http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4083. After you verify that the photos have been imported to the computer, you can delete them from the phone. Some photo software allows for deleting pictures from the Camera Roll after import, it is up to you and whatever computer OS and import software you are using. Otherwise you will have to delete them in a different way.

Sep 17, 2013 4:38 PM in response to Kaydeecee

yes its safe to delete them, all you have to do is click on edit and check all the pictures on the camera roll folder and hit delete or trashcan icon but if its on photo library you have to unsynced and remove it from your iphone by unchecking photos on the sync tool using itunes . and unchecked the sync photos box .its more safer to if you could back up your iphone first... before deleting the pictures , how ever if its on the photo library and you have deleted the source the ponly work aroud is uplaoding all the pictures from photo library to facebook or any social media app for it to be saved ....using the copy capability of your iphone you could save them on your phones camera roll , i know its a pain but atleast its a work around , you could use this article http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4236?viewlocale=en_US

Sep 17, 2013 4:30 PM in response to Kaydeecee

I have imported all of my iphone pictures to my MacBook. I do that on a weekly basis. But I never delete when it asks me if I want to. I obviously should have.

Is there a way to delete the whole lot in my Camera Roll, or do i have to do it one-by-one? With over 2000 pix in my Camera Roll, one-by-one deleting is going to be very tedious.

KayDeeCeee

Sep 17, 2013 4:53 PM in response to Kaydeecee

hard reset will not delete any of your pictures it would be better to use reset all settings to make sure that restriction is not the one preventing the photos from deleting , hard reset is holding the home button and the sleep wake button at same time untill apple appear on the screen , resetting all settings will not delete any datas but only settings puttting it back to factory default

Is it safe to delete my pictures from Cameral Roll and how do I do this?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.