Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What is the difference between the Software Update service and the Caching server?

I've updated my OS X Server to 2.2.2 and I've activated the Software Update server.

Now, I'm a bit confused when comparing the Software Update service (in Automatic mode) to the Caching service. From my point of view, both offer the advantage of reducing the Internet network usage, and that's about it... I guess there a lot more differences, but I fail to see them.

(Notice here that I'm talking about the Automatic mode of Software Update, I see no need in my environment of using Manual mode.)

So, basically, my questions are:

• Is Software Update (in Automatic mode) the same as Caching service? If not, where do they differ, in a practical (not technical) way?
  • Currently, I have to log onto each Mac client to launch the installation of the updates. Is there a way, with the help of the Software Update service, to automate this and make it transparent and effortless for the administrator?

Thanks!

OS X Mountain Lion

Posted on Sep 17, 2013 6:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 17, 2013 7:25 PM

The Software Update service in automatic mode downloads all available updates. That means it will download a huge amount of data, much of which you probably don't need.

The Caching service saves copies of software updates and App Store products downloaded by a client so they can be used by other clients without having to download them again.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 17, 2013 7:25 PM in response to °Bernz°

The Software Update service in automatic mode downloads all available updates. That means it will download a huge amount of data, much of which you probably don't need.

The Caching service saves copies of software updates and App Store products downloaded by a client so they can be used by other clients without having to download them again.

Sep 17, 2013 7:36 PM in response to Linc Davis

Thanks for your answer Linc.

However, fundamentally, apart from downloading updates preemptively in the case of Software Update, I don't see the huge difference...

It's like if both services and competitors... The Caching server looks like the "new guy in town" and the Software Update service is the "old geezer walking out the door", which will eventually get replaced. Is this a correct assumption?

What is the difference between the Software Update service and the Caching server?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.