Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

quicktime will not play .mov

Quicktime will not play .mov format video. No picture. No sound. Just black.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.5)

Posted on Sep 17, 2013 8:54 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 19, 2013 7:10 AM

MOV is the QT generic file container format—not a video compression format. Any video compression format compatible with the originator's system QT codec component configuration can be placed in an MOV file container. But if you do not have the same codec installed on your system, you cannot view that video. Depending on the codec involved, the file may not open or the file may open but not play. Since it sounds as if you open the file in a QT player, open the "Inspector" window and check the format entry to determine what video and/or audio codec(s) were used to create your "non-playing" file and post that information her along with the name of the QT player you are attempting to use ( e.g., QT X or QT 7 player).

User uploaded file

17 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 19, 2013 7:10 AM in response to John Zuill1

MOV is the QT generic file container format—not a video compression format. Any video compression format compatible with the originator's system QT codec component configuration can be placed in an MOV file container. But if you do not have the same codec installed on your system, you cannot view that video. Depending on the codec involved, the file may not open or the file may open but not play. Since it sounds as if you open the file in a QT player, open the "Inspector" window and check the format entry to determine what video and/or audio codec(s) were used to create your "non-playing" file and post that information her along with the name of the QT player you are attempting to use ( e.g., QT X or QT 7 player).

User uploaded file

Dec 22, 2013 2:08 PM in response to John Zuill1

I have the same problem!

after the uppdate i backed up all my files to my imac and now the play with no sound ,no picture,

i think someone made a mistake when they develpoed this uppgrade because me and some of my friends whe also lost the speaker mic in our iphone.

I hope you found out how to fix this problem.

thank you! iI will really appreciate it.

Dec 22, 2013 6:14 PM in response to bernyzabo

Quicktime 7.6.6 and Perian should do the trick. The new QuickTime is built on a different audio/video framework and a lot of the older formats now have no support.

You need to download and install the older, still working and 'open' QuickTime that you can add codecs to.

Start with QT 7.6.6. - http://support.apple.com/kb/DL923 - This will install into your Applications/Utilities folder.

Get Perian, and install it. - http://perian.org

then VLC, - http://videolan.org

Flip4Mac package from Telestream - http://www.telestream.net/flip4mac/

A52/AC3 downloader: https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/21875/a52codec - In this installer package there is an audio A52Codec.component. DO NOT USE IT! Throw it out and use the one that is linked below.

This is what I've put into my system and so far I've gotten every file to run fine, even my oldest videos.

These are codecs you should see.

In System/Library/QuickTime

AppleIntermediateCodec.component

AppleMPEG2Codec.component* (*optional if you've bought it.)

Flip4Mac WMV Advanced.component

Flip4Mac WMV Export.component

Flip4Mac WMV Import.component

In your Home/Library/QuickTime/

AC3MovieImport.component (you may or may not want this component, in some instances it causes conflicts. In my system, it doesn't. Who knows why? I don't.)

Perian.component

For AC3 sound that is in most .mkv files, you need the A52Codec.component, this is the one you want, here:https://code.google.com/p/subler/downloads/detail?name=A52Codec.component.zip - unzip the file and put the component into the System/Library/Audio/Plug-ins/Components

Go back to your Perian settings and in the Audio Output button, set it to 'Multi Channel Sound' - Ignore the message Perian puts up and select it.

By doing a 'Get Info' on your files and where it says 'Open With' - default them to the QuickTime 7 program. Perian no longer will work with QuickTime Player X so you must have QT 7.6.6 and set it so it is the default for all the filetypes you use.

It works perfectly with QT7. So far I've gotten ALL my old videos to play.

.avi, .mov (with the AC3 sound), .wmv, .flv, .mp4 and .m4v. all run fine as do all the older formats.

Good luck!

Dec 29, 2013 4:51 PM in response to Deborah Terreson

I 'been trying to follow all the instructions but so far,nothing works.

It looks like my files are there but i am not sure if i will be able to watch this videos again.

I was wondering if somebody can take a look a the code and see if the files are corrupted.

I also tried remo repair and did not work.

i talked with the support of the software and he did not have an answer.

So i am not giving up until i find the soultion!

Jan 1, 2014 6:20 PM in response to John Zuill1

I understand and I really appreciate your help!

I am not sure what really happened but whe after the apple uppgrade came .alll my videos are gone!

I backed up all my videos in my mac and I only see the pictures but the mov files donot have a thumbnail.

In theory I have them in my mac and I see the files but i am not able to play them. The only play in balck without sound.

Somebody said that may be they are corrupted-I am not sure about this. Somebody else a company by the name aerosomething wants to charge me to fix it?? not sure what would be the best to do...

I was wondering if i could send one of this shor clips to Somebody who would like to help me.

I videotape this videos at for a friend of mine at the cementery ,because his father was a 2nd world war navy pilot and there was a ceremony with navy soldiers.

So now i am in trouble because i told him I was going to edit the video for him and now i do not have anything to edit.

I hope I will find the solution for this unpredicatable problem.

Jan 2, 2014 8:05 PM in response to bernyzabo

Got the video and sent you a reply.. Now here is a thought, can you search the hard drive of your computer and sort the folders by file-size? I find it odd indeed that the .mov containers have been emptied - maybe the files have had the containers stripped off?

Perhaps Jon Walker can jump in here and we can put our heads together on how a search of the drive contents that looks for encodings, be they AAC or H.264, can be done.

I see from my Get Info on your file that the information about the video is there, but it is NOT in the container.

Deb.

Jan 3, 2014 7:55 AM in response to Deborah Terreson

Perhaps Jon Walker can jump in here and we can put our heads together on how a search of the drive contents that looks for encodings, be they AAC or H.264, can be done.

Would need to examine a sample file. File could be empty if import or conversion terminated prematurely before data could be copied to a newly created target file. Missing EOF might prevet file from opening. Video data rate less than minimum required to create key frames might display as "black" screen or video codec might not be supported. Corrupted playback in/out points in file might indicate file is empty in the Inspector even though Finder may indicate data is stored in the container. Also not sure what "update" was referenced (?app update, security update, system update, upgrade to Mavericks?) or what import the displayed icon has without knowing which Mac OS X system is in use the workflow associated with any attempts to open the file. (E.g., attempting to open a file with unsupported codec(s) in QT X v10.3 under Mavericks may generate an error message or create an "empty" target file if the error is not trapped correctly.) There are just too many possible problems areas to answer this question without examining a sample file.

User uploaded file

Jan 5, 2014 6:53 AM in response to Jon Walker

Thank you John.

what happened was that I had my videos in my iphone 4s and when the iphone uppgrade came (last year-2013) i backed up all pictures and videos to my computer.

after i backed the files up now all mov files are here in the computer but ,they do not have a thumbnail and ,no sound and they only play black video.

I could email one short clip so you could take a look.

I hope i can recover them because this video was a ceremony for a friend who's father was a former world war II navy pilot and I wanted a nice edit but ,i am not sure what really happened..

Thank you very much for your help!

Abel

Jan 5, 2014 9:43 AM in response to bernyzabo

I could email one short clip so you could take a look.

Looks like we had a local area internet outage which is now fixed. In any case I am back up and running on one of my systems rather than my iPhone. As noted above, you will find an email address on my "Profile" page which you can access by simply clicking on my "name" link in order to send a sample file attachment.

after i backed the files up now all mov files are here in the computer but ,they do not have a thumbnail and ,no sound and they only play black video.

Still not sure what you mean by "do not have thumbnail." Under Mavericks, you may encounter several different "thumbnail" icons in the finder. For example:

User uploaded file

Each of the thumbnail icons depicted above is a video file. Some, like "Test_H264 copy converted.m4v" depicted above or an FLV file may display as a generic "document" icon. Videos unsuported by the structure that supports the QT v10.3 app display as gneric "Movie", "AVI", "DV", etc. QT X/QT 7 specific icons. At the same time, fully supported compression formats and containers are depicted with QuickLook compatible thumbnail icons. By looking at the thumnail icon in the Finder window, you should, with a little experience, tell how the file will open in the QT X v10.3 player—i.e., tell whether the file will open and play normally, open and be forced to convert, or will fail to open at all just by looking at the Finder icon.

Thank you very much for your help!

Unfortunatey, your thanks may still be premature at this point. Also, can you relate your specific workflow for backing up the files from your iPhone to your computer?

User uploaded file

quicktime will not play .mov

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.