Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Hello! I have an Ipod Shuffle 2nd Generation and it is not recognized by my Windows 8 based laptop. An error message of 'USB device not recognized' is shown. I have the latest ITunes version installed, and tested the dock in other pc's.

Hello!

I have a problem connecting my Ipod Shuffle 2nd generation to my Windows 8 based laptop. The computer doesn't recognize the Ipod and issues an error message saying 'USB device not recognized'. I tried uninstaling ITunes(latest version) and all other Apple software and reinstaling it back again, checked my USB hubs in the 'Device Manager' section of the Control Panel, you name it.

I could really use some help solving this.

I've turned to the troubleshooting section in Apple Support but it has nothing concerning situations in wich the device isn't even shown in the 'My Computer' folder.

Help a brother out, will you???

iPod shuffle, Windows 8, Ipod Shuffle 2nd Generation

Posted on Sep 18, 2013 4:09 AM

2 replies

Sep 20, 2013 7:40 AM in response to jprt80

Hello jprt80,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities!

I found this article for you named iPod not recognized in My Computer and in iTunes for Windows found here http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1369.

Here is an over view of what the troubleshooting will entail:

1. Start with the iPod Troubleshooting Assistant

If you haven't already done so, use the iPod Troubleshooting Assistant that applies to your iPod. This will often solve your issue.

If you're still experiencing the issue after going through each of the steps in the assistant, continue with the steps below in this article. The most likely solutions are listed below (for both USB and FireWire (IEEE 1394) iPod connections). Check each section starting from the top of the list to see if that is what's keeping your iPod from appearing.

Note: To determine if your iPod syncs via USB or FireWire, check the table in the Additional Information section below.

2. If your iPod displays an exclamation point folder or sad iPod icon

3. Charge the iPod and make sure it is getting power

4. Secure the iPod's connections

5. Disconnect other USB Devices

6. Determine whether your iPod's cable functions properly

7. Place the iPod into Disk Mode

8. Determine which format the iPod is in

9. Verify that USB drivers are installed

10. Determine if Windows confuses iPod with a network drive

11. Determine if third-party software may be causing conflicts

12. Reinstall iTunes

13. Make sure FireWire card is a WHQL-certified IEEE 1394 card

14. Check for a conflict in the FireWire chain

15. Determine if there may be an issue with your computer

16. Your iPod needs service

All the best,

Sterling

Jul 16, 2014 5:14 PM in response to sterling r

Found a solution in another forum http://en.kioskea.net/forum/affich-63733-ipod-not-detected-on-computer (a few posts down).

It was for an IPOD so you can see those details in the link.

Found how to reset a shuffle and inserted it into these instructions - did not have to follow his last steps.

- Turn off computer. - Plug Shuffle into usb.
- Then you must reset your shuffle

To reset iPod shuffle:

• Disconnect iPod shuffle from the computer (if connected).
  • Move the switch on the iPod shuffle to the OFF position. Note that when iPod shuffle is off, the green stripe by the switch is not visible
  • Disconnect iPod shuffle from the computer (if connected).
  • Move the switch on the iPod shuffle to the OFF position. Note that when iPod shuffle is off, the green stripe by the switch is not visible.

- Start computer and it should install the usb driver for the ipod automatically. - Your i pod will say do not unplug so don't. then open itunes and it will be there.

I did not have to do these thing below – did not get error message and shuffle was displayed in Itunes. / LMc

• Just remember to not only eject ipod from itunes but stop usb.
  • Go to the program icons near the clock and right click the usb icon and "safely remove hardware" will appear and click it.
  • Stop it and select "apple ipod".

Hello! I have an Ipod Shuffle 2nd Generation and it is not recognized by my Windows 8 based laptop. An error message of 'USB device not recognized' is shown. I have the latest ITunes version installed, and tested the dock in other pc's.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.