Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

SLS DNS with Multiple Domains

Does anyone know where I might find a picture/screenshot of Snow Leopard Server DNS setup for more than one Domain, I'm obviously missing something from all that I have read and my mind is in a whirl, a picture/screenshot of DNS set up for multiple domains would be far more help for me as I'm currently suffering from "information overload". Any help would be most appreciated.

** Mike **

Mac mini, Mac OS X (10.6.8), Mini 2.5 Ghz Core 2 Duo, 4Gb, 2x500Gb

Posted on Sep 18, 2013 4:47 AM

4 replies

Sep 18, 2013 9:07 AM in response to MrHoffman

It's what entries I need to put in the other DNS zones, is it A Rec or CName or both ?, I've read so many different things aboiut DNS but still find it hard to get my head round all of the intircacies, luckily my main one I managed to get working okin the past, it's the new ones [2 of them] that I need to get up and running. As I say, a picture would be VERY helpful.

** Mike **

Sep 18, 2013 9:21 AM in response to MagicMikeUK

To verify local DNS, launch Terminal.app on the server, and issue the non-destructive, diagnostic command:

sudo changeip -checkhostname

To set up DNS and for better or worse, you need to know what the A IPv4 and AAAA IPv6 machine records are, and what the CNAME alias records are. Tersely, the A records are the canonical names for the hosts; the names of the machines. The CNAMES are secondary names; aliases.

Here are details on configuring OS X Server DNS.

That applies to 10.6, and — if you check the show-all-records stuff — also to 10.7 and later.

If you have questions on what's written there, ask.

Sorry, no pictures.

SLS DNS with Multiple Domains

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.