Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Iphoto wont let me in

I store my Iphoto Library on my Time machine external hard drive. I received a message i was locked out so i rebuilt permissions. My problem is it locks or freezes everytime it gets to finishing thumbnails. I have to force quit to get out. Help

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.7)

Posted on Sep 18, 2013 4:40 AM

6 replies

Sep 18, 2013 6:51 AM in response to TheSawdust

The Time Machine drive should not be used for the iPhotolibrary

having it there means that you are not backing it us so you will lose your photos sooner or later - and as the TM backup grows eventually it will block access to yoru iPhoto library due to lack of space - this possibley may be what already happened - what is the exact error message you get?

LN

Sep 18, 2013 7:44 AM in response to LarryHN

I just purchased a second external hard drive to make a second backup but need to get to these photos in order to that. I had a guy at the local Computer Helpers set up the TM so its formatted so you can drag and drop on one half and Backups on the other half. I was told that the backups wouldn't interfere with the drag and drop data. Is that not true?

Ill have to double check the exact wording of the current error message when i get home. But i know the original message said something like The iPhoto Library is locked, on a locked disk, or you do not have permission to make changes to it". i read on another thread in this forum to:

" rebuild the library: hold down the command and option (or alt) keys while launching iPhoto. Use the resulting dialogue to rebuild. Choose to Rebuild iPhoto Library Database from automatic backup."

I did this and it seemed to work fine but now its trying to update thumbnails and it stops/freezes every time.

Sep 18, 2013 8:00 AM in response to TheSawdust

Sorry i forgot to read your mind - you did not mention that the drive had been partitioned - yes if it is partitioned then it is logically two totally different drives (although they have a single point of failure in the hardware) and the two partitions are totally seperate so what you are doing is safe form an expanding TM backup - but you need to verify that TM can and is backing up the partition that you use for drag and drop

What is the ownership and permissions of the volume that your iPhoto library is on? And what is the format of that volume?

You can try Back up your iPhoto library, Depress and hold the option (alt) and command keys and launch iPhoto - repair your iPhoto permissions

LN

Iphoto wont let me in

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.