Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Remember this password in my keychain" does not work

I have some network drives that work fine as such and I want to connect to them automatically on startup. Every time I restart my OSX, there are several pop up windows with the text "Enter your name and password for the server ..." Then I do: Connect as Registered User, Name ..., Password ..., [x] Remember this password in my keychain. However, it never remembers neither the Name or the Password. It always defaults to some old, incorrect Name. On the next restart, it just does not remember what I previously typed there.

When I go to Keychain Access app, I can see the relevant entry there. Even the Date Modified tells me I gets updated. However, those settings have no effect either. I can select "Allow all applications to access this item" but it doesn't have an effect. It always asks the credentials upon startup and the Name is not the one I previously typed even I tick it to "Remember this password in my keychain".

What's wrong?

Mac Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Sep 18, 2013 5:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 18, 2013 8:21 PM

Back up all data.

Select the login keychain from the list on the left side of the Keychain Access window. If your default keychain has a different name, select that.

If the lock icon in the top left corner of the window shows that the keychain is locked, click to unlock it. You'll be prompted for the keychain password, which is the same as your login password, unless you've changed it.

Right-click or control-click the login entry in the list. From the menu that pops up, select Change Settings for Keychain "login". In the sheet that opens, uncheck both boxes, if not already unchecked.

From the menu bar, select

Keychain Access Preferences First Aid

If the box marked Keep login keychain unlocked is not checked, check it.

Select

Keychain Access Keychain First Aid

from the menu bar and repair the keychain. Quit Keychain Access.

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 18, 2013 8:21 PM in response to jiokay

Back up all data.

Select the login keychain from the list on the left side of the Keychain Access window. If your default keychain has a different name, select that.

If the lock icon in the top left corner of the window shows that the keychain is locked, click to unlock it. You'll be prompted for the keychain password, which is the same as your login password, unless you've changed it.

Right-click or control-click the login entry in the list. From the menu that pops up, select Change Settings for Keychain "login". In the sheet that opens, uncheck both boxes, if not already unchecked.

From the menu bar, select

Keychain Access Preferences First Aid

If the box marked Keep login keychain unlocked is not checked, check it.

Select

Keychain Access Keychain First Aid

from the menu bar and repair the keychain. Quit Keychain Access.

Oct 14, 2013 6:07 PM in response to jiokay

Problems such as yours are sometimes caused by files that should belong to you but are locked or have wrong permissions. This procedure will check for such files. It makes no changes and therefore will not, in itself, solve your problem.

First, empty the Trash.

Triple-click anywhere in the line below on this page to select it, then copy the selected text to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C:

find ~ $TMPDIR.. \( -flags +sappnd,schg,uappnd,uchg -o ! -user $UID -o ! -perm -600 -o -acl \) 2> /dev/null | wc -l

Launch the Terminal application in any of the following ways:

☞ Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

☞ In the Finder, select Go Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

☞ Open LaunchPad. Click Utilities, then Terminal in the icon grid.

Paste into the Terminal window (command-V). The command may take a noticeable amount of time to run. Wait for a new line ending in a dollar sign (“$”) to appear.

The output of this command, on a line directly below what you entered, will be a number such as "41." Please post it in a reply.

Oct 17, 2013 8:09 AM in response to jiokay

Back up all data. Don't continue unless you're sure you can restore from a backup, even if you're unable to log in.

This procedure will unlock all your user files (not system files) and reset their ownership and access-control lists to the default. If you've set special values for those attributes on any of your files, they will be reverted. In that case, either stop here, or be prepared to recreate the settings if necessary. Do so only after verifying that those settings didn't cause the problem. If none of this is meaningful to you, you don't need to worry about it.

Step 1

If you have more than one user account, and the one in question is not an administrator account, then temporarily promote it to administrator status in the Users & Groups preference pane. To do that, unlock the preference pane using the credentials of an administrator, check the box marked Allow user to administer this computer, then reboot. You can demote the problem account back to standard status when this step has been completed.

Enter the following command in the Terminal window in the same way as before (triple-click, copy, and paste):

{ sudo chflags -R nouchg,nouappnd ~ $TMPDIR.. ; sudo chown -R $UID:staff ~ $_ ; sudo chmod -R u+rwX ~ $_ ; chmod -R -N ~ $_ ; } 2> /dev/null

This time you'll be prompted for your login password, which won't be displayed when you type it. You may get a one-time warning to be careful. If you don’t have a login password, you’ll need to set one before you can run the command. If you see a message that your username "is not in the sudoers file," then you're not logged in as an administrator.

The command will take a noticeable amount of time to run. Wait for a new line ending in a dollar sign (“$”) to appear, then quit Terminal.

Step 2 (optional)

Take this step only if you have trouble with Step 1 or if it doesn't solve the problem.

Boot into Recovery. When the OS X Utilities screen appears, select

Utilities Terminal

from the menu bar. A Terminal window will open.

In the Terminal window, type this:

res

Press the tab key. The partial command you typed will automatically be completed to this:

resetpassword

Press return. A Reset Password window will open. You’re not going to reset a password.

Select your boot volume ("Macintosh HD," unless you gave it a different name) if not already selected.

Select your username from the menu labeled Select the user account if not already selected.

Under Reset Home Directory Permissions and ACLs, click the Reset button.

Select

Restart

from the menu bar.

Oct 22, 2013 3:00 AM in response to Linc Davis

I successfully did the Step 1, but no difference. Before I try Step 2, I'd like to understand one thing. In Keychain Access I can do Get Info on the Name (server) I am connecting to. There is a field "Account". That one has the CORRECT username. However, on startup, the pop up window has "Name" and that is the old username. What is that Account and why is that not used for the actual username on startup? Will this be fixed by the "Reset Home Directory Permissions and ACLs"?

Oct 25, 2013 1:56 AM in response to Linc Davis

Thanks, I got it fixed now. I had to remove my network drive from the login items (at Users & Groups) and re-add it. I would say that is a bug when OSX insists the username added when the login item drive was added. The "[x] Remember this password in my keychain" should do what it says even it was a connection through a login item. Or it should warn "Warning: Credentials not changed because the login item holds the credentials. Remove the corresponding login item to save new credentials."

There is no "Get Info" or anything in login items so it was difficult to realize some hidden information could be saved there.

"Remember this password in my keychain" does not work

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.