Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

icloud acct. storage keeps loading up and I cant back up anymore

My daughter has 3 devices to her icloud acct. - her itouch, ipad mini and iphone; all with the same photo stream, and data from apps. It says I cant back them up because the 3 combined are over the 15GB I bought. If I change the settings to not backing up an app, then it tells me I will lose all the data. Hope do I control the duplicate storage taking up so much space?

iPod touch, iOS 5.0.1

Posted on Sep 18, 2013 6:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 18, 2013 6:56 AM

I have two devices that fully use icloud and I only have around 2 GB used on icloud. She has an average of 5 GB per device, that's a lot. If she has lots of photos, then she should be syncing them to a computer for archiving and not bothering to back them up in icloud. (Always sync photos to a comptuer for archiving.)

If she has a lot of text messages, the those are automatically backed up to an icloud backup - have her delete many of them. Videos? These take up a lot of space. And, yes, if she has duplicate data on the devices, they will be backed up multiple times - nothing can be done about that, unless she has only one device that backs up some of the redundant data and not the others.

As I said, using 15 GB with 3 devices is a whole lot of data.

This link gives an overview of backup and restore:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4859?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

Go to Settings>iCloud>Storage & Backup>Manage Storage. Choose the device you want info on. On the next page, you'll get a listing and size of all data store in the next backup. You can also turn on/off backups of individual apps' data.

And photo stream doesn't use up icloud storage in your account, so don't bother dealing with that. BTW, the stream is used to sync photos betwen devices, don't use it as a storage service. Always sync photos to a computer for archiving.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 18, 2013 6:56 AM in response to callsmith

I have two devices that fully use icloud and I only have around 2 GB used on icloud. She has an average of 5 GB per device, that's a lot. If she has lots of photos, then she should be syncing them to a computer for archiving and not bothering to back them up in icloud. (Always sync photos to a comptuer for archiving.)

If she has a lot of text messages, the those are automatically backed up to an icloud backup - have her delete many of them. Videos? These take up a lot of space. And, yes, if she has duplicate data on the devices, they will be backed up multiple times - nothing can be done about that, unless she has only one device that backs up some of the redundant data and not the others.

As I said, using 15 GB with 3 devices is a whole lot of data.

This link gives an overview of backup and restore:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4859?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

Go to Settings>iCloud>Storage & Backup>Manage Storage. Choose the device you want info on. On the next page, you'll get a listing and size of all data store in the next backup. You can also turn on/off backups of individual apps' data.

And photo stream doesn't use up icloud storage in your account, so don't bother dealing with that. BTW, the stream is used to sync photos betwen devices, don't use it as a storage service. Always sync photos to a computer for archiving.

Sep 18, 2013 7:11 AM in response to callsmith

There is another easy solution for non technical person for that particular situation. Your kid doesn't really need anything but her iphone backed up. There is normally no viable info on touch and very limited on ipad. Just turn those backups off and delete them from icloud. Those 15 gigs should be enough for iphone and you are set.

icloud acct. storage keeps loading up and I cant back up anymore

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.