Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Permanently Modify Mac OS X Guest Account (Mac) Mountain Lion

Hey All,

i am shure, some of u might know the problem.

So, everytime u close a guest account, all data gets erased. And as well all settings get reset.

So, i searched around quite a bit, and what came out as helping the most is the following:

1. enable guest account

2. enable fast user swithing

3. switch to guest account

3. do ALL ure settings, run all apps and programs, that need registration, and so on. some more often for not asking u stuff again..

Modifiy the Dock, change Desktop, etc...

(dont forget to CLOSE/END all Programs, otherwise they will be started everytime user logs in.)

4. simply fast-change to main account without closing the guest account.

------

and then the trouble started... coping, giving yourself rights, etc... videos online about it, etc...

easiest thing to to is the following:

--------

5. execute the following command in a terminal window:

sudo cp -r /Users/Guest/ /System/Library/User\ Template/English.lproj/

!!! Importent for other language users then english !!!

when u run ure systems mainly in another language, u need to do it ALSO with that language. OS X seems to be mixing information. so simply past line

AGAIN, but change last language part.

sudo cp -r /Users/Guest/ /System/Library/User\ Template/German.lproj/

-----

some ppl said, it is also possible while logged into the guest account. Doesnt work for me, cause guest account want the

guest-account password. which i dont have, or is somewhere hidden in system files.

And for ppl that what to copie settings across systems, beware, there is a "Keychain"-Folder that messes up the accounts.

u cant copie that one around.

Hope it helps for who every gets the same problem.

And i hope Apples gonna make that a basic feature... kind of still ***** this way...

Cheers, Michael

Posted on Sep 18, 2013 7:48 AM

18 replies

Sep 18, 2013 8:14 AM in response to Michael.Cologne

Michael

The guest account is designed for sharing on your Mac to either share files your network or on your Mac. You can use the Guest Account to log into the Mac itself but it will delete the Home Folder when you log out. It is not designed for permanent access. Guest Account does not have a password and needs enabling/disabling in System Preferences.

Why not just create another account on your machine which is a non admin account with a simple generic password or no password at all. Would achieve the same thing as using Guest account but keeping settings of the last user etc. Looks like you are possibly trying to over complicate things.

Sep 18, 2013 8:35 AM in response to Paul Airs

This is NOT about the WHY, its about the HOW!

I am Mobile atm, but lets explain shorty:

Bunch of public Macs where students have acess to.

Not PW sharing possible, and they cant be able to perma save anything.

Clean Mac everytime one of em leaves..

But, ***** if they would have to register Office each time, etc

And the dock only contains the stuff they need.

Lot of em dont know OS X, etc...

Sep 18, 2013 10:32 AM in response to Michael.Cologne

The HOW would appear to be more getting the applications registered and serialised so that they can be used rather than keeping the Guest user folder etc. Office should be fine if it is activated and serialised under the admin account of the machine and not the guest account.

As red_menace has mentioned you can manage preferences in Workgroup Manager. This would set a standard look and feel as a starting point to every user that logs in. You can also create more custom management from plists if required or needed.

Oct 14, 2013 8:13 AM in response to Paul Airs

Thx for the answers btw...

i had been offline for a bit.

And yes, registering and serialising is kind of a problem with the guest account. Even if registred on the admin account, every User would have to reregister. And all the first starting pop - ups and questions for standard browser, etc.. once u have it all done and then apply that to the guestaccount, it all set up and ure not asked again.

i actually have not checkt out the workgroup manager. something i am gonna do.

But as i was searching for a way to figure out how to change Guest-Acc settings, i found his way pretty usefull.

Anyway, just took me some time to see that u have to do it on both .lproj , the german and the english one in my case.

so for this working method - even if there are other - i just wanted to shared my information.

thx for the feedback!

Feb 5, 2014 6:42 AM in response to Polar2100

Hello everyone

I would like to achieve the same here but it hasn't worked out so far. I need to permamently modify the guest user for our school laptops running OSX 10.9:

- register programmes

- modify dock

- do all the first runs

- edit default printer settings

- set custom wallpaper

Unfortunately, only part of this can be done with the workgroup manager.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Morgy

Mar 8, 2014 12:28 PM in response to Paul Airs

Paul Airs wrote:

Why not just create another account on your machine which is a non admin account with a simple generic password or no password at all. Would achieve the same thing as using Guest account but keeping settings of the last user etc. Looks like you are possibly trying to over complicate things.

In a public environment like a school or library, the Guest User account is essential because OS X resets the account to its "vanilla" state on Log Out. Each new guest gets a fresh OS X with no debris from previous guests.

Customizing the Guest User account is also essential:

• Configure the Dock for the typical guest, removing some OS X apps and adding Office and other 3rd party apps.
  • Set the Safari default page to the school or library website.
  • Set the default desktop picture.
  • Set Finder defaults, e.g., icon size & spacing, display drives.

-- Ward

Oct 25, 2014 8:44 PM in response to Michael.Cologne

Hi Michael.Cologne,

You are really confusing this here:

The idea of the Apple Standard Guest access is to let a person use your computer just now for an hour or two without being able to make any lasting changes to your Mac.

He can use your applications, he can save his documents, access webmail etc. etc. And he can then connect to remote servers and store his work there or he can use his email to send his new documents via email.

When he log out again the guest user will be empty, set back to standard and that ready to be lent out to the next user.

IF YOU WANT A PERMANENT ACCOUNT FOR SOMEBODY ELSE - ONE OR MORE PEOPLE SHARING

Create a new account, call it something understandable, like Michaels guests and give the rights to those users you would like to give them. You could even give them access without a password, like with the guest account, although this is definitely not a good advice.

This should, I hope, help.

And you should not have to go to the terminal or use other strange and radical methods to accomplish your goals😁

Best regards

Carsten

Jan 6, 2015 4:18 AM in response to carstenlevin

Hello everyone, I'm trying to do the same as Michael.

We want to configure 30 Macbooks running Avid Sibelius 7 for use by university students.

We want to use a restricted account that leaves no user data once they've finished - the Guest User account would be ideal for this.

However, Sibelius by default asks if you want to go online and check for updates (which can be suppressed in its settings).

We also want to set a customised wallpaper and Dock.

My understanding is that these settings would be wiped for the Guest User account. So, perhaps I can ask the reverse question:

Can I set up another standard user account (like a Guest account) but run some kind of command that wipes their data on log off?

Thanks

Andrew

Jan 6, 2015 7:12 AM in response to mamvcivm

mamvcivm wrote:

We want to configure 30 Macbooks running Avid Sibelius 7 for use by university students.

We want to use a restricted account that leaves no user data once they've finished - the Guest User account would be ideal for this.

However, Sibelius by default asks if you want to go online and check for updates (which can be suppressed in its settings).

We also want to set a customised wallpaper and Dock.

My understanding is that these settings would be wiped for the Guest User account. So, perhaps I can ask the reverse question:

Can I set up another standard user account (like a Guest account) but run some kind of command that wipes their data on log off?

Andrew, it seems that a customized Guest account is just what you need (in addition to an Administrator account with full privileges).

The setup of the Guest account can include setting Sibelius preferences to not check for updates.

-- Ward

Permanently Modify Mac OS X Guest Account (Mac) Mountain Lion

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.