Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Slow down in boot and sleep.

Hi,

I've been using my mid 2012 non-Retina MBP for about 4 months now, which runs OSX 10.8, and it was very fast with boot and sleep but now I have to wait several minutes for it to do either of those. It's very irritating, especially when I have to leave super fast, due to my job, and I have to waaaaaaaiiiiit for the sleep indicator button to start dimming.

I was a long time Windows user before switching to Mac and I'm familiar with slowdown of an OS during usage but I was wondering if there is anything, like a cleanup or something, to make it faster. Or how to find out what cuases the OS so much to do before sleeping.

I'm stressing over this because since sleep uses battery, unlike hibernation which dumps whole RAM to an image on HDD, it should just pause the OS and not to do anything special and should not, at least in theory, depend on how many open apps you have. Even though I usually have just a few open apps at the moment.

Thanks.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Sep 18, 2013 7:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 18, 2013 2:05 PM

When you next have the problem, note the exact time: hour, minute, second.

If you have more than one user account, these instructions must be carried out as an administrator.

Launch the Console application in any of the following ways:

☞ Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

☞ In the Finder, select Go Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

☞ Open LaunchPad. Click Utilities, then Console in the icon grid.

Make sure the title of the Console window is All Messages. If it isn't, select All Messages from the SYSTEM LOG QUERIES menu on the left. If you don't see that menu, select

View Show Log List

from the menu bar.

Scroll back in the log to the time you noted above. Select any messages timestamped from then until the end of the episode, or until they start to repeat. Copy them to the Clipboard (command-C). Paste into a reply to this message (command-V).

When posting a log extract, be selective. In most cases, a few dozen lines are more than enough.

Please do not indiscriminately dump thousands of lines from the log into this discussion.

Important: Some private information, such as your name, may appear in the log. Anonymize before posting.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 18, 2013 2:05 PM in response to Aidinz

When you next have the problem, note the exact time: hour, minute, second.

If you have more than one user account, these instructions must be carried out as an administrator.

Launch the Console application in any of the following ways:

☞ Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

☞ In the Finder, select Go Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

☞ Open LaunchPad. Click Utilities, then Console in the icon grid.

Make sure the title of the Console window is All Messages. If it isn't, select All Messages from the SYSTEM LOG QUERIES menu on the left. If you don't see that menu, select

View Show Log List

from the menu bar.

Scroll back in the log to the time you noted above. Select any messages timestamped from then until the end of the episode, or until they start to repeat. Copy them to the Clipboard (command-C). Paste into a reply to this message (command-V).

When posting a log extract, be selective. In most cases, a few dozen lines are more than enough.

Please do not indiscriminately dump thousands of lines from the log into this discussion.

Important: Some private information, such as your name, may appear in the log. Anonymize before posting.

Jan 20, 2014 12:47 PM in response to Linc Davis

Hi,

I did what you asked several times but since I don't want to dump a lot of log files here, since I don't know which ones are the ones you are interested in, since there are not much time differences in them, I enabled verbose mode in boot and took pictures of the two lines that boot stucks the most, especially the first one. Here they are:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bimkvaqco9fuvli/2014-01-21%2000.07.27.jpg

and

https://www.dropbox.com/s/w8vqilosr56u8sm/2014-01-21%2000.07.49.jpg

I also pasted log file to pastebin, in case it may be useful: http://pastebin.com/QZJc4Vq3

Thanks.

Slow down in boot and sleep.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.