Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Hardware Test says "4SNS/1/40000000 Th1H128.000".

Anyone know what this means? It's Hardware Test Version 3A135 testing my Macbook Pro which has a recently replaced logic board. Originally a 2.5 GHz one it now has a 2.6 GHz board which seems to be working well though once it took a few of tries to get it to boot up (chime, blank screen, no action). So I ran the test and got this code. It's working fine right now.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8), 17" high res screen

Posted on Sep 18, 2013 8:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 18, 2013 8:49 AM

That indicates that a sensor has been found to be faulty (Temperature). Bring the MBP to an Apple store genius bar for evaluation and correction.

Ciao.

25 replies

Sep 18, 2013 8:48 AM in response to Nathaniel Childs

Nathaniel Childs wrote:

Macbook Pro which has a recently replaced logic board.

took a few of tries to get it to boot up (chime, blank screen, no action).

So I ran the test and got this code. It's working fine right now.

Looks like it has further problems if AHT gives a error and it won't boot correctly.

Take it back, they didn't finish the job.

Sep 18, 2013 9:36 AM in response to OGELTHORPE

Hmm. When I replaced the logic board (a process I'm familiar with) there was a very small circuit board that was supposed to be attached to the heat sink but had come free. I re-attached it. But I'm wondering if that might be the sensor that's sick--I can't see any other purpose for it than temperature measurement. I have another of those little boards from the original board--maybe I should try putting that in there.

Putting two and two together--I have smcFanControl on this machine and ever since this logic board went in the fans have been runnig at top speed and the reported temperature has been around 140 degrees--used to be 160 to 180.

Sep 18, 2013 10:22 AM in response to Nathaniel Childs

Nathaniel Childs wrote:

Putting two and two together--I have smcFanControl on this machine and ever since this logic board went in the fans have been runnig at top speed and the reported temperature has been around 140 degrees--used to be 160 to 180.

Fans operating at top speed represent the default that the OS initiates when a bad sensor has been detected. 140° f is a bit warm for a light load on the CPU, such as text editing and e-mail, and probably would still not initiate a fan increase from the default 2000 rpm speed.

Ciao.

Sep 18, 2013 10:54 AM in response to Nathaniel Childs

As I respond to you, the CPU temperature on my MBP is 115° f. I have user 4 applications open, Finder, Firefox, Activity Monitor and Mactracker. A very light load. I do have a 17" MBP which will tend to operate a touch cooler that smaller ones.

With a damaged sensor, I would expect speeds of 6200 rpm, which is the maximum. Why is it just near 6000 rpm, I cannot say with certainty. At 144° f I would expect the fan speed to start to ramp up to maybe 2500 - 3500 rpm.

Nathaniel Childs wrote:

what do you think of the regular 160° to 180° that was regularly reported for the previous logic board?

For a light load on the CPU, much too high. These temperatures would be expected for video and intensive flash.

Though high, none of your the temperatures that you have reported are lethal. Thermal shutdown will occur at about 220°f+.

Ciao.

Sep 20, 2013 11:20 AM in response to OGELTHORPE

Interesting. This is the third logic board for this computer--the first two had video problems. Both of those ran around 160°. This is also a 17" MBP. I'd sure like to see temperatures like those you mention--I've suspected that the failure of those earlier boards was hastened by the high temperatures. And as I write this I see the temperature is up to 160°--highest I've seen yet for this one. I also run Finder, Firefox, Activity Monitor and then Thunderbird, OnePassword, Skype, and Copypaste--those last four I'd expect to add very little to the load.

Sep 20, 2013 1:32 PM in response to Nathaniel Childs

This may not make you feel any better, but tisi is a screen shot of my current internal temperatures:

User uploaded file

Nathaniel Childs wrote:

and then Thunderbird, OnePassword, Skype, and Copypaste--those last four I'd expect to add very little to the load.

What happens when you close these four applications? I know that Skype is a CPU glutton. The others are alien to me.

Ciao.

Sep 21, 2013 11:50 AM in response to OGELTHORPE

I'd sure like to understand why this machine is running so much hotter than yours--and that with the fans running at max! I installed iStat Pro which agrees with the activity monitor and provides more temp. info which I like. Looking at the Activity Monitor's CPU activity I see that Firefox is the main user at around 60% (I've way too many tabs open) and the system at 20-30%. There are many other things shown that use between 0% and occasionally 3%--mostly only a tenth or so. It's idle 10-20% of the time.

Thanks very much for your help with this! It's very nice to have a conversation with someone who's knowledgable and interested!

Sep 21, 2013 12:10 PM in response to Nathaniel Childs

Nathaniel Childs wrote:

Looking at the Activity Monitor's CPU activity I see that Firefox is the main user at around 60% (I've way too many tabs open) and the system at 20-30%. There are many other things shown that use between 0% and occasionally 3%--mostly only a tenth or so. It's idle 10-20% of the time.

You have aroused my curiosity. Please post an image of both iStat pro as I did before and Activity Monitor.

Set Activity Monitor to ALL PROCESSES and % CPU to display values from high to low. This is from mine;

User uploaded file

Firefox should not be using that much CPU.

Ciao.

Hardware Test says "4SNS/1/40000000 Th1H128.000".

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.