Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Intel 530 series SSD in a Mac Pro - can't warm restart

Has anyone tried an Intel 530 series SSD (I have a 240GB) with their Mac? I just put one into my Mac Pro and installed a fresh copy of 10.8. If I try a "warm" restart it will hang on boot - I get a "circle-slash" and verbose mode shows "still waiting for root device". But if I turn the machine off and cold boot it works fine.

I've tried updating the SSD's firmware and went to 10.8.5 - still doesn't work. I even tried another identical SSD, no luck. Do you think this is a bug in the drive or an incompatibility in the Mac OS? I've posted a similar question on Intel's forum.

Thanks!

Posted on Sep 18, 2013 11:18 AM

9 replies

Oct 1, 2013 9:48 AM in response to tbone48

You may have an NVRAM issue or conflict with anothrr device incl USB kb/mouse, seeing you did have latest Intel firmware, yes?

try TRIM ENABLER 3 and give it a shot, you need it on another boot drive to invoke TRIM in Disk Utility.

I have Intel 330, not 520 series and had the "slash" issue when I had a Sonnet Tempo SSD PCIe card and had to zap PRAM as well.

Oct 1, 2013 12:56 PM in response to tbone48

Yes, I have done all possible resets including the ones that you are mentioning, but no one solves the problem. Since so many PC-users have the same kind of problem, I will try to return the two SSD's that I have bought and exchange them for another model or brand. Any particular you can recommand? These are the first SSD's I'm bying and I have not been digging into the details regarding SSD....

BTW. Thanks for your help!

Intel 530 series SSD in a Mac Pro - can't warm restart

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.