Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Motion 5 greyed out functions

Hello All,

All of a sudden I have greyed out functions on my project. See attached

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5q73ag4mx253xlb/Screen%20Shot%202013-09-18%20at%2010.4 3.47%20AM.png

- Show Project Pane

- Show Timline Pane

- Player Mode

- Show Canvas On Second Display

- Show Timing Pane on Second Display

- Revert To Original Layout

- Video Timeline

- Keyframe Editor

- Audio Timeline

I tried coping everything and pasting it to a brand new timeline, quiting and re-starting. Did I hit a mode by accident?

J5

Final Cut Pro X, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4), 2x2.4Ghz 6-Core Intel Xeon-12GB RAM

Posted on Sep 18, 2013 11:22 AM

15 replies

Sep 19, 2013 3:36 PM in response to John Kereny

Not sure what you mean by"App version" The files are in your user library which you can access by going to the Go menu in the menu bar while holding down the option key and selecting Library. You can also delete the preferences file using Preference Manager from Digital Rebellion, a free download from their web site. If you want to reinstall move the FCP app to the trash and log in to the App Store using the same account you purchased FCP under. Go into your purchased items window and click install for FCP. There will be no charge.

Sep 23, 2013 11:06 AM in response to Jim Wanamaker

Jim I meant using the app version of Motion I don't have the archive to delete preferences like the older versions. I will read the knowledge base and see if this helps. An added problem is the old video editor has FCP X and Motion 5 on his Itunes account. So I was trying for a solution without having to dump the whole software. Apple does not make it easy to switch a user Itunes account to a work account. I'll get the old password and keep you posted.

Thanks for all the advise.

Sep 23, 2013 3:41 PM in response to John Kereny

I sloved the problem. If you calabrate your displays, Motion wont be able to work. I deleted the calabrated settings and everything came back.

Here's the tutorial I found.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fKKykx_s8I

Spread the word because there is nothing on your boards or the internet and this problem. This put me back several days and I think others can benefit from this. .

Sep 23, 2013 3:52 PM in response to John Kereny

Good find! Amazing that is actually IS a problem though. You should be able to customize your monitor color profile. I'm not going to try this, but I'm wondering that if after installing Motion 5 you can customize a color profile without further issue.

Do notify Apple with Feedback (Motion menu > Provide Motion Feedback) It was probably just an oversight when they rewrote the software from scratch.

Oct 1, 2013 9:17 AM in response to GFXZen

I gave away my Apple Cinema Displays a while ago to the Art Dept. So I am using dual Sceptre 32" monitors. The brightness was blasting my eyes so I went into system Prefs' and tried to adjust the screens inside the mac as well as the actual monitor adjustments.

Inside System Prefs', I hit the "Calbrate" function. After I was done I stayed on the calibrate setting for the "Color Setting" and when you go back to motion everything is greyed out. Not until I deleted the display profile the motion functions came back. If you are on a Apple monitors this might not happen.I have not tried. Sounds like you did... Again, I'm on third party monitors.

Hope that helps.

Oct 1, 2013 9:52 AM in response to John Kereny

Yeah, I'm only on a single monitor, I'll have to see if I can find a second one to hook up to my system. But also, are there more specifics, details about your calibration? It sounds like you did a re-install of the application. You're using Motion 5.07 and 10.8.4 (I'm guessing by your first post). Have you trie updating the OS? Did you choose a particular gamma (1.8 vs. 2.2). Every detail counts, maybe it's a particular setting that triggers the problem.

Motion 5 greyed out functions

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.