Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Simple. Does the iPhone 5s have usb 3?

Can you verify? Thanks.

OS X Mountain Lion, Chill. Life is short. Your answers should be, too.

Posted on Sep 18, 2013 11:54 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 18, 2013 11:56 AM

If you are asking if the iPhone 5s has a USB port, the answer is no.

If you are asking if the cable that connects the iPhone 5s to a computer is USB 3, the answer is no, but you can still plug it in to a USB 3 port, it will just run at USB 2 speeds.

15 replies

Sep 21, 2013 12:01 PM in response to Joe in So Cal

Well Joe in So Cal until the carriers can handle very large data sets that have large change rates (not in WiFi areas) you still need to get data on and off the devices. So until you can get the carriers to launch a completely unlimited 5G network I do care. So maybe you don't have any trouble pushing your super completed SMS or video clip of you surfing but there are those that use the devices for more complexe task and deffiently more than 16GB.

Apr 15, 2014 2:51 PM in response to Joe in So Cal

Good point. USB is 12 Mbit/s (max), but one can sync over Wi-Fi, at much higher speeds, if you avoid heavy contention for the Wi-Fi bandwidth. I was seeing sync speeds close to USB 2's max over a cable, and 2-4 times that speed when connecting via a wired (gigabit ethernet) to a router and then over Wi-Fi (short distance, 2.4 GHz 802.11n) to an iPhone 4S (that is, one wired hop and one wireless hop). Data sent purely over Wi-Fi via a Wi-Fi router between a PC and an iDevice will result in heavy contention, as the data has to make two wireless hops, and Wi-Fi routers don't buffer well in that situation. That's why a VoIP phone call using WiFi and bluetooth is so often choppy: The WiFi and bluetooth are often competing for the same spectrum at the same time.

Apr 16, 2014 5:40 PM in response to MrElvey

Devices incapable of USB3.0's 5Gbps speeds would fall back on the ubiquitous USB2.0 spec, which is what Lightning is rated, and not the USB1.0 spec mentioned above, which runs at 12Mbit/s.

We can therefore expect a paper max of 480Mbit/s (60MB/s) for USB2.0 transfers. Given that the fastest wireless speed iPhones support is 802.11n, which runs at 108Mbits/s (13.5MB/s), we should continue to expect that USB2.0 will provide the higher throughput.

Just want to make sure it's clear to anyone out there with this question: wired transfer is currently fastest.

Sources: Wikipedia and Apple (iPhone specs).

Apr 16, 2014 6:53 PM in response to Brian Murillo

You're right regarding the specs. But for whatever reason, I found that WiFi syncs were consistently much faster. I ran 6 tests, transferring a big (130 MB) app over and over. In addition I timed about a dozen null syncs. There too, I found that WiFi syncs were consistently faster. Interestingly, I noticed that null syncs were consistently much slower if I quit iTunes between syncs, than if I didn't. (I did all 6 main tests and most null syncs on a warmed-up system, that is, I'd already run at least one null sync in iTunes.)

Simple. Does the iPhone 5s have usb 3?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.