Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using services to insert LaTeX equations

I was disappointed to see that in Keynote 3, it is still not possible to insert LaTeX equations into text fields using LaTeXit or Equation Service as a "Service." The tools appear in the Services menu, but have no effect. It works fine in TextEdit and Pages. (Using the clipboard to paste the results from TextEdit into Keynote results in a blank space where the equation was, so I can't even use that as a workaround.)

Is there any hope of this becoming functional in a Keynote update? It's been a problem since Keynote 1, and severely limits Keynote's usefulness for scientific presentations.

Alternatively, is there some other way to get equations into a text field (other than clicking hundreds of special characters)?

MacBook Pro Mac OS X (10.4.6)

Posted on Jun 22, 2006 12:17 PM

13 replies

Jun 23, 2006 6:12 AM in response to eric zimmerman

This is probably not the sort of perfect solution you are looking for, but it would beat inserting all the symbols.

If it were me, I would just take screen shots of them and put them in a pictures. Go over to your Pages document were you have put in using LaTex, hold down the command and shift keys and press 4. Then drag through your equation. It creates a png file of it on your desktop. Pick it up from your desktop with the mouse and lay it on top of your text. Put in enough spaces in your text so that it all looks good, and all should be well.

Jun 23, 2006 8:15 AM in response to Kyn Drake

No, I can't copy from Pages to Keynote: the text is copied fine but the equation disappears. I can import the equation alone as a drag-and-drop PDF object, and this does work. But it isn't part of the Keynote text field, so as mentioned above I have to leave space in the text, move the equation exactly into place with the mouse, and then do it all over again if I change anything in the text field later. (Also, it's very difficult to align the equation satisfactorily with the text in the first place.) It's obviously very awkward if one is writing a talk with lots of equations inside sentences or bullet points.

Jun 23, 2006 8:19 AM in response to Kyn Drake

Is the key that you want to be able to "edit" the
equation after you paste it OR do you just want it
simply displayed on the screen without a rectangle
around it?

I should have addressed this explicitly: I don't necessarily need to be able to edit the equation itself after pasting it in, but I would like the equation to be part of the text object in which I place it, so that if I edit the text the equation remains in the proper location in the text.

Jun 23, 2006 3:23 PM in response to eric zimmerman

Hi Eric,

Text and images can coexist in most word processing apps such as Pages, TextEdit, Word as well as with HTML. As Kyn pointed out, the text simply flows around the image. However in layout and presentation apps text and images are assigned as separate objects. As such it is not possible to imbed an image in a text object. This is also the way it works in Powerpoint, Photoshop and Illustrator. So I doubt that Keynote will ever have this ability.

One solution is to type the entire paragraph or sentence in LaTeXit and render the equation along with the rest of the text. That way the text and the equation will included in the PDF image. You just need to place "$" signs around the equation and click the "Text" tab in the main window of LaTeXit. For example:

Here we will use the Schrodinger equation, $-\frac{\hbar^{2}}{2m}\nabla^{2}\Psi+V\Psi=E\Psi$, in a sentence.

Hope that helps,

Dave

Aug 8, 2006 10:49 AM in response to eric zimmerman

I have exactly the same problem as the original poster and I haven't found an acceptable solution. I end up using LaTeXiT only for "display-style" equations that are positioned separately from the text.

As Dave pointed out above, fundamentally what is necessary is to be able to embed a PDF in a text object. Even if Powerpoint, Photoshop and Illustrator don't have this feature either, I'm sure Apple could implemented it if they wanted to. So how about sending them some feedback? I've just done so myself.

Aug 8, 2006 12:15 PM in response to pbg

I just launch the Equation Editor from either AppleWorks or MS Office, and leave it open on the desktop. When I need an equation, I just copy/paste from EE to KN. If I want something other than black text, I cycle the copy through GraphicConverter to make a "colorized" PNG (to retain transparency) for insertion into KN.

Using services to insert LaTeX equations

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.