Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Albums view/listing in music app in iOS 7

Just updated to iOS7, and seriously what did you/Apple think with the new album (un)grouping of albums when you enter an artist in the Music app?

Do their developer have a music collection at all? I just can't believe albums aren't listed without the tracks as before. At least an option to have that view, but seriously that view should still be default.

And when we're on it, why don't they add a feature so you could add the currently playing song to a playlist?

Posted on Sep 18, 2013 2:32 PM

50 replies

Sep 18, 2013 3:31 PM in response to theplague

I second this concern.

After upgrading, the first thing I wanted to play was a specific album. I didn't remember the album name, but I remembered the artist, so I looked up the Artist.

I have 33 albums for that artist. I was confused at first... then discovered I had to scroll down, down, down, down, until finally reaching the album I wanted. It seems to be chronologically ordered, ascending, so the latest album for this artist was at the bottom of the list...

Wouldn't be so bad if it was just a list of albums, but I have to scroll through every song on every album... there's got to a better way.

Sep 19, 2013 3:16 AM in response to theplague

I'm also not impressed with the changes they have made to the music app. I listen to my music a lot so it's really important that it's easy to use for me to find what I want to listen to. When I was using it before the update to iOS7 I would flip it into landscape album view. Here I could see all of my album covers and could easily navigate my way through as it put each album artist into alphabetical order. Now they have changed this to show multiple albums at a time in alphabetical order of album name and NOT albums artist. This for me just does not work! Anyway I've emailed apple about it like the person above suggested so we'll just have to wait and see if they respond to this in their next update. Until then I'll just have to use the artist tab which I'm not a huge fan of either.

Sep 19, 2013 5:26 AM in response to theplague

I've also emailed Apple. Why would anyone want to view albums sorted by title in landscape, rather than by artist. It doesn't make any sense. This was the main reason why I changed from Android, so I could use the basic ability to view albums sorted by artist. Why is it so hard to impliment, it's so basic. Hopefully if enough people give Apple feedback they'll change it in 7.1. If not, I dont see any point in staying with this system.

Sep 19, 2013 5:50 AM in response to theplague

Agreed!!

The new Music app in iOS7 is horrible. Reduced functionality and the functionality that is there doesn't make intuitive sense.

In addition, my main issues/corrections:

1) Give the user an option to display, or not display, the large album art beside the Artist listing. The large album art beside each Artist takes up too much room and conveys no useful information.

2) Within each Artist allow the user to select a listing of the albums (as in iOS6). Scrolling through albums does not make sense. Allow the user to select from a list!

3) Within each Artist allow the user to sort the albums alphabetically. Sort the albums by title NOT date! Why sorting albums by date?

4) Within each Artist replace the selection to play all songs (as in iOS6). In iOS7 only option is to shuffle play the songs.

As it stands now in iOS7 the Music app has reduced functionality and is a horrible experience for the user.

Sep 19, 2013 7:09 AM in response to theplague

for those struggling with the design layout like me, i sorta found a work around. If you select the artist, then type the artist name in the search box it will list all the albums first in alphabetical order (like IOS 6 did). If you scroll down you will then see it broken down by songs and what not, but at least the albums are listed first. Lousy design and and extra step but better then potentially scrollign through 1000s of songs to find the album you want 😕😮😢😠

Albums view/listing in music app in iOS 7

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.