Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using my own server software without loosing functionality?

I've been happily using 'regular' Mac OS X as a server for some time, but I need to replace the hardware I have deployed and I chose a Mac mini server - so now I'm looking at using Mac OS X Server for the first time.

Apple doesn't update the server software as regularly as I'd like to, so I'm thinking that I want to run my own versions of postfix, dovecot, postgresql, and apache (along with my own greylist solution and clamav).

It's not a big deal for me to set it up, but I would like the added functionality of the Apple solutions wherever possible. Has anyone out there used Apple's push notification dovecot plugin and associated service with their own version of dovecot? Can I set up the wiki server and use my own apache with it easily? Can I point anything that needs a db to my version of postgresql instead of the apple-supplied one? Is there something else I'm missing?

I'm sure I can figure this out on my own (eventually), but if someone else has already done some or all of it, I'm happy to learn from someone else's experience.

Thanks in advance!

Mac mini (Late 2012), OS X Server

Posted on Sep 18, 2013 3:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 20, 2014 10:59 AM

Just in case anyone looks at this, I've done the following:

- use my own mail setup (and continue to not have push notifications for mail - something I may address later).

- use my own apache (newer/updated more quickly than Apple does), with configuration info pulled from the Server apache so webcal still works

- use calendar/contacts server from Server

- decided not to use the wiki server

- decided to let apple services use their own postgres and run my own for my stuff.

I can share relevant apache2.4 configuration for anyone who is interested (but it seem like no one is 😉 ).

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 20, 2014 10:59 AM in response to Daniel Luke

Just in case anyone looks at this, I've done the following:

- use my own mail setup (and continue to not have push notifications for mail - something I may address later).

- use my own apache (newer/updated more quickly than Apple does), with configuration info pulled from the Server apache so webcal still works

- use calendar/contacts server from Server

- decided not to use the wiki server

- decided to let apple services use their own postgres and run my own for my stuff.

I can share relevant apache2.4 configuration for anyone who is interested (but it seem like no one is 😉 ).

Using my own server software without loosing functionality?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.