Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MBPr...should I wait or buy now

Hello everyone,

I'm on the market to buy a MBP for extensive video editing. I was about to purchased the 15" MBPr (16GB/512GB) from Bestbuy since they reduced the pricing but realized these prices never drop unless for a reason. So low and behold...the rumor mill has the Haswell vesion is coming out very soon (mid to late October) but there is no concrete information. I am hearing that this new version may not come with discrete GPU card. This could be a serious issue for us editors. We are already dealing with limited drive space...now this! Apple is seriously pushing away the pro line and frustrating!!

So...what should I do?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Sep 18, 2013 3:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 18, 2013 3:21 PM

Wait until you have confirmation that there is a new MacBook Pro coming out and what its specifications are.

9 replies

Sep 19, 2013 7:01 AM in response to RG76NYC

RG76NYC wrote:

....the rumor mill has the Haswell vesion is coming out very soon (mid to late October) but there is no concrete information. I am hearing that this new version may not come with discrete GPU card. This could be a serious issue for us editors. We are already dealing with limited drive space...now this!

First off it's no secret that Apple uses Intel processors and Haswell processors are already out for the PC and they already have run some tests, there isn't much of a improvment in power or performance too much to really make much of difference in battery life. Of course there were running Windows, which is the same for all hardware.

It's public knowledge that Mavericks is going to pay better attention to performance/power etc., but again for what your doing it's not going to make much of a difference as you need more processing cores, power and cooling to get big jobs done fast.

It's possible that with Haswell that Apple will go all Intel HD graphics on the 15" MBP, deeming the 3D and pro video market no longer sustainable on portable devices and committing the MBP's totally to the consumer market.

You've got to realize that the new MacPro coming (also public knowledge) is going to be designed to handle 4K video that's upcoming, it's got a lot more pixels to handle than even HD does.

Currently FinalCut Pro X is struggling on current MacBook Pro's and the hardware design and power limits their use of heavy duty use even on power.

Apple is seriously pushing away the pro line and frustrating!!

No, it's the new demands of 4K on hardware that is making the MacBook Pro rather useless as a portable editing machine, sure it can do some on the job clips and train new users, but mainly that's going to be about it I'm guessing.

The new MacPro coming is a small design, power packed and yes, portable.

So instead of toting a notebook, you carry a case that contains the new MacPro and a portable monitor and you plug into power, keyboard, thunderbolt drives etc., and your rocking and rolling.

Since one really has to connect a MacBook Pro to power anyway since the battery life is so dismal....

Plus the new MacPro will have a HECK of a lot more cores than the MacBook Pro, thus it can render 4K video faster than a MacBook Pro can, on scene or back at the shop.

Once everyone realizes this, they will gladly welcome the new change, all those who are hobbyists on MacBook Pro's will be encouraged to use a iMac instead.

Sep 19, 2013 7:54 AM in response to ds store

ds store

I hear your point regarding the Intel HD video cards "possibly" deeming the 15" MBP line unsustainable for editing purposes. That would be a huge blow to Apples creditibility. We will see.

Unfortunatly a 3K notebook cannot be compared to 5 -10K work horse that is absolutely NOT portable. I'm hoping you was joking but who would really take the risk of dragging around a 10K machine? Asinine!

The MacPro is definitely in my plans down the near road especially for the 4K workflow and overhead. But right now I need something to edit on the road and to use for travel/client visits.

Sep 19, 2013 8:54 AM in response to Courcoul

Courcoul Mexico

**Sigh**

Well, he went a bit off the deep end in speculating about future "X" product.

However when Ds store says something about DATA storage and archiving vs. backups, id say everyone should "listen up", his community notes on same are solid gold.

Very intelligent posts on storage archiving data,....same stuff Ive been saying for years I wish people would strongly heed. 😍

MBPr...should I wait or buy now

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.