Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 5, iOS 7, stuck in recovery mode.

Hey all, here is my situation.

Today I downloaded & tried to install the new iOS 7 on my iPhone 5. After having an error stating that the download of iOS 7 could not be installed, I started to worry. I tried downloading & installing it through my PC. This worked, but then it could not install because I couldn't backup my iPhone.

So, after numerous attempts of repeatedly clicking update on my phone, it finally started to update. iOS 7 was installed onto my phone, but directly after the reboot; it went into recovery mode.

I plugged it into my pc, as told to do so, & all I could do was to restore it. I tried restoring it using iOS 7, but after the restore had finished, it just goes directly back into recovery mode.

I would try putting it into DFU mode, then restoring it. But my home & my power button are both broken & unusable.

As of right now, I've been trying to fix this problem for the past 4-5 hours. I've about to give up, & call Apple because this is getting completely ridiculous.

I just wanted to update my phone to iOS 7, and now I've got a phone that doesn't even work..

Any ideas?

..Thanks!

iPhone 5, iOS 7

Posted on Sep 18, 2013 5:01 PM

16 replies

Sep 18, 2013 6:53 PM in response to Hultt

I have the same problem

I try to make a upgrade by air, but after the download of the new IOS7, the disaster.

My iphone 5 64G stop to working. When I turn on the phone I saw the icon to connect to the iTunes. When I do that they try to make a restauration but stop with an erro -1. It's dosen't work. My phone is freeze.

<Edited by Host>

Sep 18, 2013 7:05 PM in response to Hultt

Hi, I had the same exact problem. This worked for me:

Unplug your iphone from the computer.

Hold the power button on your iphone until it shuts off.

Hold the power button again to turn it back on.

it sounds simple but it took me a long time to solve the problem.

after it turns on, it will say "hello" and ask to set up your iphone.

for me, it thought my iphone was a new iphone.

I clicked "set up iphone from backup" and it asked me to connect to itunes again.

Connect it to itunes.

itunes will try to restore it again.

restore it.

turn your iphone off and on again.

and now it should finally be ready to be set up.

this process *****. im sorry.

Feb 12, 2014 11:10 AM in response to Hultt

My iPhone 5 did the same thing. It is stuck in recovery mode on the connect to iTunes screen. I took my phone to Apple store. They said yes, the upgrade broke my phone and I can buy a new one if I want. WHAT? Again Apple, YOUR SOFTWARE broke my phone, and I have to buy a new phone? How is this right? They said it is because my phone is out of warranty. The software upgrade should not be offered to people who are out of warranty if that makes them uneligible for a fix or replacement to damage caused by the new upgrade. It is not as if my original phone hardware/software broke and I need it replaced under a warranty. This was a NEW IOS UPGRADE. At least put a warning out there that says..This upgrade has a high chance of frying your phone and if you are out of warranty you will be **** outta luck. For all we know, Apple could be checking warranty status in the code for the IOS upgrade and if you are out of warranty...installs a bug that fries your phone. Great way for them to make money forcing people to buy new phones!

Apr 29, 2015 7:32 AM in response to Hultt

On your device ,So delete all the corrupted applications and then First of all restart your Device because sometime problem is solved by This

Step otherwise Reset your Device for Default settings and configurations . Go to main menu >> Setting >> General >> Reset >> Reset All setting >> Confirm the message

Follow these steps to solve your problem -

Now your Device will automatically Restored.

<Link Edited by Host>

Apr 30, 2014 3:53 PM in response to Hultt

Yes this has now happened to me.All the above comments are ridiculous answers.My phone is LOCKED into recovery mode period.Restored ten times with the latest itunes and latest ios.Everything loads to the last 99% then message pops up with the label "unknown error 3".Now Apple know what that error is but think it clever to pretend its an unknown and presumably unfixable error.So I read through all the log files and two things occur as a result of Apples intervention.1) they deliberately stop updating the baseband. 2) they refuse to acknowledge and activate the install, probably because the phone is out of warranty.

I can see CLASS Action , multiple like minded sould that apple have deliberatly tried to force into buying another phone as a direct result in damaging the software of a perfectly operational phone.Sorry but I dont want to pay several hundred pounds just to have you sod it up for me afew monthes down the line.

bottom line is if you want to retain customer loyalty dont be underhand and try please try to be honourable.Allow those people who buy products continue to use them and come back.Well no more ...this fella gone off to get a samsung.

May 14, 2014 9:17 AM in response to AngieRS

While reading this, I felt validated after enduring an unpleasant experience with Apple. I also felt that I was taken advantage of. I found it strange that after updating ios7 suddenly phone malfunctioned and died. And I don't think it was a coincidence that it was offered 2 months after my warranty had expired ( which I was not aware of ). Even more strange that the previous software update was offered more than 2 months ago (while I was covered). Apple knows what it is doing. How malicious of them.

So I take my dead phone to Apple and the "genius" tells me that she can't fix the phone, and my only option is to buy another one for $290, of which I had no other option but to buy since I had no phone. after payment she hands me new phone and I notice that my old phone is out of sight. I ask for my old one and she says she's supposed to keep the old phone. At this time I became very angry because she did not explain this to me prior to me purchasing the new one. So now all my info is on the old phone and they get to keep it.

This is all calculated. Even while waiting to be called I overheard other customers complaining about software and their battery dying.

May 14, 2014 9:47 AM in response to Cocopepsi

Sorry to hear yet another loyal customer getting shafted from the A team.(there is no I in team but there is a hole in the A)Apple if you are listening take note, I own four of your products because there was a time I believed in this product, having spent over £5000 on you I have decided my loyalty is not helping you to be loyal to me or anyone else.Other companies will overtake you and outshine because they don't think up schemes and small minded penny pinching ideas to make their customers bend over and receive swollen goods.

Case in point...not ONE apple customer service employee or employer can be arsed or bothered to reply ...as they keep telling themselves they are doing this wonderful service to mankind and it's people and all will just put up with this mind numbing blinkered uncaring approach to the consumer.

Steve Jobs would NOT have allowed you to crucify this business!see you all down the JOB centre.

Aug 6, 2014 11:38 AM in response to Hultt

Ok - quick background. I own a small 3rd party Apple Repair Company. I don't usually write on these boards because I find Apple doesn't like to help us, so we don't like to share our little secrets with Apple. BUT, I finally realize that it's not us helping Apple, it's us helping end users who are also VERY frustrated with Apple and their continuation to care more about making money rather than repairing loyal customers products.

Anyway - get this App http://www.wondershare.com/data-recovery-mac/mac-iphone-data-recovery.html

It's from a great developer. The program is very useful for rescuing files from a broken iPhone, or even from an iCloud backup. BUT mostly, it restarts your iphone into a "normal" mode when it is stuck in recovery mode. It seriously does this in 1 second. You might even be able to get away with using the demo and not even buying it, because it is the first thing the App will ask you when you open it. And magically, your iPhone is back to wear you were before the crappy Apple iOS update bricked your phone.

Apr 29, 2015 7:28 AM in response to Hultt

The Solution: iPhone Get into Recovery Mode due to iOS 7 Upgrade

Usually when iPhone stuck into recovery mode, it cannot be turn on or it just cycle the boot process but never reach the home screen. Sometimes you might even see the iTunes logo with a USB cable pointing at it on the screen. In this case, this article introduces how to fix the problem iPhone get into recovery mode during iOS 7 upgrade. To get out of recovery mode, completing a restore is a fast way to go.

Detailed guide to get out of recovery mode by restoring the iPhone

Step 1. Connect the dedicated USB cable of your iPhone to computer and run iTunes.

Step 2. Press and hold the Sleep/Wake button for a few seconds, then you can see a red slider, just slide the slider to turn off the iPhone.

Step 3. Connect the iPhone to the USB cable and at the same time press and hold the Home button down. The device should turn on.

Step 4. Continue holding the Home button until you see the Connect to iTunes screen. Next you will receive a message from iTunes: "iTunes has detected an iPhone in recovery mode. You must restore this iPhone before it can be used with iTunes."

http://www.easeus.com/iphone-recovery/solution-iphone-get-into-recovery-mode-due -to-ios-7-upgrade.html

I may receive some form of compensation, financial or otherwise, from my recommendation or link.

<Edited by Host>

Apr 22, 2015 1:12 PM in response to mbxpdyd

This WORKED for my phone! Thank you so much Apple Guys!! I was panicking because nothing was working with my phone being stuck in recovery mode and I contacted the tech support section for my wireless provider and their answer was that I had to restore my phone (meaning i lose everything) and/or go to Apple and see what they can do.

I downloaded the app and in seconds I heard my phone buzzing as it was connected to the computer and my home screen came back! Thank you thank you!

Learned my lesson, now going to backup everything I have on my iphone just in case... 🙂

Sep 19, 2015 11:17 PM in response to klikklok

Stuck in iPhone recovery mode during iOS 8.4/iOS 9 upgrade? iOS 8 put iPhone in recovery mode? Don't want to restore iPhone with iTunes because it will erase data? iPhone is not recognized by iTunes although you have plugged it into computer? Many of you may have met these troubles, and lots of users have complained that iPhone is in recovery mode, an error with red iTunes logo during 90% done of iOS 9 update. No worries. You can easily and completely fix iPhone stuck in recovery mode after iOS 9 upgrade without any damage or data loss on your device.

iPhone 5, iOS 7, stuck in recovery mode.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.