Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My wife and i both share 1 apple id for itunes. When using airdrop from both phones it show just my name how can we change that?

Is there anyway to get it to show up as her name when using airdrop from her phone besides creating her an apple id of her own? Similar issues happened with features of iOS5 and iOS6. Would think they would have instruction on these issues already prepaired.

iPhone 5, iOS 7

Posted on Sep 18, 2013 5:22 PM

5 replies

Sep 21, 2013 8:03 AM in response to pobeByobwoC

Hello pobeByobwoC,

Thank you for the details you provided. The name that appears when using AirDrop depends on the name of the device in Settings. Update your wife's iPhone's name using the following steps:

Using an iOS device

1. On your device, tap Settings > General > About.
  2. Tap the first line, which should display the name of your device.
    User uploaded file
  3. Rename your device using the on-screen keyboard and tap Done.
    User uploaded file

You can find the full article:

iTunes and iOS: Change the name of your iPhone, iPad, or iPod

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3965

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

Best,

Sheila M.

Sep 21, 2013 11:53 PM in response to sheila_m.

Both of our iphones already have different names.

here is a 4 pics merged in picframe to show the specific issue.

What we want altered is the portion that says Kevin Hayes on both phones. The 2 pics on the left are from my wife's phone the 2 pics on the right are from my phone.User uploaded file

so as you can see both phones already have a different phone name set up but only my name shows up thanks for the attempt. hope we can get it changed but if not its a minor issue and we are still loving the feature.

Dec 7, 2013 4:03 AM in response to pobeByobwoC

I also tried long time to figure out how to use Airdrop btw my two IPads with the same Apple ID, now I think I get it:

1. The two IPads must have different names.

2. Since the Airdrop is by default only for contacts, so either a) change it to for everyone, or b) add your own ID into your contact list, and that on every device.

However, b) only works from my Mini to Air, but not the other way round, while a) always works. I still have to figure out how to make b) work two-ways, since it seems to be a more secure solution.

Hope, this info helps you. :)

My wife and i both share 1 apple id for itunes. When using airdrop from both phones it show just my name how can we change that?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.