Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Delete iCloud email

I can't delete the iCloud email for the username I use. How do I change the email?

iPhone 5, iOS 7

Posted on Sep 18, 2013 6:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 22, 2017 6:14 AM

Just to be clear - because your question isn't - did you want to change it or delete it?

I spent a good 1/2 to 1 hour with what I was told was someone senior in Apple. Did a screen share as well, and walked through the Apple ID page, iCloud Mail Preferences and some things on an iOS device.

Ultimately: If you've happened to activate iCloud Mail (and gotten an @icloud.com or @mac.com or @me.com address), then you cannot remove the iCloud Mail service. Apple also can't / won't remove the iCloud Mail service for you. You're stuck with iCloud Mail, including the unwanted email address.

Unless you delete your whole Apple ID... all those app purchases...

Loads of fun, in't it?

Gotta wake up Steve to get him to change it for us. What's a person gotta do to get something done around here?

Anyhow, pop over to Feedback - iCloud - Apple and give'em your 2c.

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 22, 2017 6:14 AM in response to akstrawberryprincess

Just to be clear - because your question isn't - did you want to change it or delete it?

I spent a good 1/2 to 1 hour with what I was told was someone senior in Apple. Did a screen share as well, and walked through the Apple ID page, iCloud Mail Preferences and some things on an iOS device.

Ultimately: If you've happened to activate iCloud Mail (and gotten an @icloud.com or @mac.com or @me.com address), then you cannot remove the iCloud Mail service. Apple also can't / won't remove the iCloud Mail service for you. You're stuck with iCloud Mail, including the unwanted email address.

Unless you delete your whole Apple ID... all those app purchases...

Loads of fun, in't it?

Gotta wake up Steve to get him to change it for us. What's a person gotta do to get something done around here?

Anyhow, pop over to Feedback - iCloud - Apple and give'em your 2c.

Sep 21, 2013 11:29 AM in response to ddeming

Hey there akstrawberryprincess,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities!

You can change your Apple ID email address to another email address that is not already an Apple ID.

Apple ID: Changing your Apple ID

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5621

To change your Apple ID, follow these steps:

1. Go to My Apple ID (appleid.apple.com), click "Manage your Apple ID", and sign in.
  2. If you have two-step verification turned on, you'll be asked to send a verification code to the trusted device associated with your Apple ID. If you are unable to receive messages at your trusted device, follow the guidelines for what to do if you can't sign in with two-step verification.
  3. In the "Apple ID and Primary Email Address section," click Edit.
  4. Enter the email address you want to use, then click Save Changes. Apple will send a verification email to that address.
  5. Open the email from Apple, then click Verify Now in the email.
  6. When the My Apple ID page opens, sign in with your renamed Apple ID.
  7. If you have two-step verification turned on, you'll be asked to send a verification code to the trusted device associated with your Apple ID.

After you see a message indicating that verification is complete, remember to update all of the features and services that you use with your Apple ID.

All the best,

Sterling

Aug 18, 2014 12:50 PM in response to akstrawberryprincess

This isn't a "resolution" to your issue, however it should provide some clarity as to what you can/can't do with this @icloud.com email being set as your primary Apple ID.

Any/all Apple created email addresses (@mac, @me, @icloud.com) are unable to be removed, and/or edited from the "primary email address" field.

Suggested work around: Create an alternate login alias, (your preferred email address) that you can use interchangeably to access your Apple account.

Regarding "changing" your @icloud.com email address. You're not able to change the prefix once created. However you can do the following to create a new alias/2nd @icloud.com email.

1: Sign in to iCloud.com

2: Click Mail icon.

3: Click the gear icon located toward the bottom left of the screen.

4: Choose "preferences" from the options that populate (at the top of the list)

5: Click "Accounts" tab at the top of preferences screen.

6: Click on "add an alias"

7: Create your new @icloud.com email account.

Hope this helps.

Delete iCloud email

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.