Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS7 update my story, some fixes.

Hi Everyone,

I want to share my experience of the update to iOS7.

I include here all that I know so if it's not here then I don't know so please contact Apple support or an Apple store.

My Apple phone is a UK iPhone 5.

My PC is a Laptop running Windows 8.

These are the steps I took in the order I took them.

1) Updated all my apps on the phone in the app store.

2) Made a backup of my phone to my PC in iTunes with the Apple USB cable. When in iTunes you will be prompted to upgrade to the latest version which I did which ran the Apple Software Update but received errors so downloaded iTunes etc.and installed manually from C:\Users\Yourname\AppData\Local\Apple\Apple Software Update\iTunes64.msi .

When I had done that I got error messages about Apple Mobile Device Support so I uninstalled it from my PC and installed the one also in C:\Users\Yourname\AppData\Local\Apple\Apple Software Update\AppleMobileDeviceSupport64.msi.

3) I got a message there is not enough space to update. If you get this copy your photos and movies to a PC or Mac and then delete them from the phone and turn off My Photo Stream in Settings iCloud Photos. If you still do not have enough space to update, google how to free up space on (my apple device).

4) Started update to iOS7 from iTunes not on the phone. Followed instructions.

5) My phone was stuck in recovery mode which is the USB cable and iTunes logo on the screen. I thought my phone was bricked as it would not come out of this mode until I found the solution is to get your phone into DFU mode and run a restore. To do this, when in recovery mode;

Hold the Power button for about 5 seconds.

Now press down the Home Button without releasing the Power button. Keep both buttons pressed for about 10 more seconds.

Now release the Power button but not the Home button. Keep the Home button pressed for 15 more seconds or so. Your device should be in DFU Mode afterwards.

DFU Mode is just a blank screen but your phone should be recognised by iTunes.

6) My phone was not recognised by iTunes. With the phone plugged in to my PC check your windows device manager. Uninstall the driver for "Apple Mobile Device USB Driver" if it has a yellow ! next to it. Unplug your phone. Install C:\Users\Yourname\AppData\Local\Apple\Apple Software Update\AppleMobileDeviceSupport64.msi. (again). Plug your phone in again and iTunes should see it. You must then select restore from iTunes and you will see your phone start to finish the update.

7) If you are asked again restore from iTunes.

8) My phone has finished the update so follow the instructions to setup. Connect to your wifi. There was an error about activating the phone. Keep pressing activate it will go through eventually.

9) You will be asked to setup your phone as a new phone or restore from a backup. Select restore from backup from iTunes.

10) You will be asked where to restore your settings from. Restore from iTunes. It will find the backup you made earlier.

11) You will be asked to create a passcode I used the one from before the update with no problems.

12) Where are my apps? I have got some of them but where are the rest? Open App Store then select purchased, click on ,not on This iPhone,. These are all your other apps, click on the cloud next to each one to install.

13) I like the look and 'feel' of iOS7 as a first impression.

14) It's now 1.42am so next episode of Longmire and then sleep. Goodnight.

All the best.

<Personal Information Edited by Host>

iPhone 5, iOS 7, iTunes WIndows8

Posted on Sep 18, 2013 5:52 PM

14 replies

Sep 18, 2013 8:05 PM in response to Uncle Abu Bulgaria

I'm having a problem with one of the steps:

"5) My phone was stuck in recovery mode which is the USB cable and iTunes logo on the screen. I thought my phone was bricked as it would not come out of this mode until I found the solution is to get your phone into DFU mode and run a restore. To do this, when in recovery mode;

Hold the Power button for about 5 seconds.

Now press down the Home Button without releasing the Power button. Keep both buttons pressed for about 10 more seconds.

Now release the Power button but not the Home button. Keep the Home button pressed for 15 more seconds or so. Your device should be in DFU Mode afterwards.

DFU Mode is just a blank screen but your phone should be recognised by iTunes."

I have my iPad with the iTunes logo screen. I have it connected to the PC. I do all the button thingy but nothing. Itunes doesn't recognize it. The device shows up in the Device Administrator. (Not really, it activates the Apple Mobile Device USB Driver) So the PC is detecting it somehow.

But it's not showing up. I can't restore it. I don't know what to do.

Sep 18, 2013 8:56 PM in response to Uncle Abu Bulgaria

Once again, it's itunes fault, i think. Or not iTunes fault, but bad uninstaller. I installed iTunes in my gf notebook, which never had an apple soft in it, the Tablet was detected in DFU mode, i restore it, now im restoring the back up.

So. Device saved.

BUT. The iPad is still not properly detected in my computer. Im going to try to remove evert apple component.

Sep 18, 2013 9:34 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

Thanks. That solved it.

If someone else is having the same problem, try this:

1) Make sure you got the ipsw file to restore to 7.0 (In my case iPad3,1_7.0_11A465_Restore.ipsw), google it, you'll find it.

2) Follow the guide shared by Chris: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1923.

3) Reinstall itunes.

4) Put your device in DFU mode, as OP said in part 5.

5) Open iTunes. Connect. Restore from the ipsw. And then restore from a backup.

Sep 19, 2013 2:38 AM in response to Uncle Abu Bulgaria

Regarding No.12,

With iOS7 you can enable automatic updates in the app store. When I opened the App Store this morning it started doing a massive update of all my apps.

To enable automatic updates go to settings, iTunes and App Store, scroll down to Automatic Updates and turn on Updates, make sure below Use Cellular Data is set to off so you're using Wi-Fi only for automatic updates.

You still have to manually install the apps in 'Purchased, Not on this Phone'

All the best

Dec 1, 2016 4:58 PM in response to Uncle Abu Bulgaria

My iPhone 6 was stuck in recovery mode (connect to itunes screen - itunes logo with iphone cable), this was due to updating to iOs 10 via wifi and then battery going dead!

iTunes recognised the iPhone, selecting Update or Restore would end in error.

First try softwarw such as ReiBoot, wondershare, iReb

Here was my solution after days of attempts:

- Download IPSW software from 3rd party website, latest version for your iPhone should do as you will not be able to recover data on phone. You will be able to sync from iTunes backup later

- Place this file in C:\Users\**YOURUSERNAME**\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPhone Software Updates

- Return to iTunes and connect iPhone

- Put iPhone into DFU mode (google method) - iTunes should still have iPhone recognised

- Shift click Restore and then select the IPSW file

- This should now being Restore process and your iPhone should work after this

If this does not work or this ends after timeout/15mins:

Disable firewall/spyware

Ensure iTunes is latest version

Try another PC/Laptop which is faster - This is the method which eventually worked for me!!

I then synced the app data from my iTunes, which was 3 weeks old. You will then have to allow your iPhone to download the actually apps seperately as backup only saves app Data.

p.s. This shows backup your iphone weekly minimum and you will have no issues incase your iPhone is bricked!!

iOS7 update my story, some fixes.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.