Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Disc Player not reading CD

Greetings,

I am looking for a solution. Prior to getting my iMac, I had a Windows based computer. I copied my photos to CD's from that old Dell PC. I wanted to look at some of these older Photos from us and also some which other people sent me. I am pretty sure most are JPEG files. But when I put the CD's in, it just makes a noise as if it is trying to read and never shows up on my desktop. Finally it just spits them out again.

Is this a possible problem between Mac and Windows? And could someone point me in the right direction of solving this issue? I appreciate any input! I would like to have these files accessible to copy onto an external drive.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Sep 18, 2013 6:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 18, 2013 6:54 PM

Greetings ...

Macs can read the JPG format no problem.

Try selecting an application so your Mac can read the disc.

Open System Preferences > CD's & DVD's

Click the When you insert a picture CD pop up menu then make a selection.

2 replies

Sep 19, 2013 12:20 PM in response to Carolyn Samit

Thank you, Carolyn, for your input.

I did check within System Preferences and the pop up menu was already selected to "OPEN iPhoto" WHEN YOU INSERT A PICTURE CD.

I tried again with CD's that I recall having viewed before and the player just keeps making the beeping sound about 4 times and then ejects the CD.

I am starting to suspect the player is no longer able to read. Admittedly, I have not used it much, so it cannot be overuse. But perhaps not using it enough?

Disc Player not reading CD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.