Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Home Share disappears after i click done

I am trying to transfer my itunes library from my windows to my new mac. I have turned on home share and authorized both computers, and once i click done, homeshare disappears and does not allow me to see any drop down menus. I am connected to the same wifi and internet, and i am also updated on the latest itunes version. If anybody could help that would be much appreciated. Thank you in advance.

MacBook Air, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4), i am working with windows 7

Posted on Sep 18, 2013 6:17 PM

1 reply

Sep 19, 2013 12:00 PM in response to melzand

I have had this same problem since I upgraded to version 11 of iTunes. I just found today that if you go into Preferences (under the Edit menu in Windows or under File on Mac OS) there is a Sharing tab that was turned off. As soon as I checked the box in front of "Share my library on my local network" and the checkbox in front of "Home Sharing computers and devices update play counts" (I don't know if this second checkbox has to be checked or not) and restarted iTunes on each computer it began to work again.

I have no idea why Apple decided to have this turned off by default in version 11+ as I had it working fine prior to upgrading. I also have no idea why Apple makes no mention of the need to go into the Preferences and make sure Sharing is enabled. I have found no mention of it in any home sharing documentation...

Ed K

Home Share disappears after i click done

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.