Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No way to create a playlist with both podcasts and music?

I do long distance runs and having both music and podcasts in one playlist is crucial for me. I'm seeing there's no way to get podcasts back to the music app but is there really no way to set up a playlist with both either? Surely this has to be an oversight that Apple will overturn with enough feedbac.

Mac mini, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Sep 18, 2013 6:16 PM

15 replies

Sep 19, 2013 4:39 PM in response to emeralds1

Same problem here.

In the podcasts app, tap My Stations at the bottom. From there you can add podcasts to the 'on the go' playlist, or create a new playlist with the podcasts of your choice. The bummer here is that my running app can't see the podcast playlists in the Podcast app like they could when they were in the Music app. So before starting the run, launch the podcast playlist in the podcast app, then launch the running app. Lame.

Sep 24, 2013 5:29 PM in response to emeralds1

Fellow runners, I have found the answer. You'll be listening to Planet Money, Hang Up and Listen, or whatever podcasts you listen to with your music again.

What you do is:

1. put the cursor on a podcast episode you have downloaded
  2. at the end of the title, an arrow will appear
  3. click on the arrow and a menu will appear that says 'add to'
  4. click on that and you will see you PLAYLISTS!!!
  5. Add it to the playlist you want, and then you can go back to music page to reorder your podcasts and music as desired. Bob's your uncle.

Happy running!

Sep 25, 2013 5:04 AM in response to GGFG

Your solution worked in iOS 6. It also works fine within iTunes. However, while the podcasts do get moved to your iPhone, you can only see them/play them from the Podcasts app. As far as the Music app is concerned, the podcasts on the playlist do not exist. Likewise, from Podcasts, the playlist doesn't contain music, so you cannot mix the two. This appears to have been done by design.

May 16, 2014 8:06 AM in response to emeralds1

It looks like I'm not the only person struggling with this after all. Much like the OP, I'm a long-distance runner and i enjoy using the Zombies, Run! app. Unfortunately, it can only see traditional music playlists and now I cannot figure out how to get my podcasts into a normal playlist. The app apparently does not see the "On The Go" playlist as it seems to be a special kind of playlist.

I just don't understand why they Apple removed the ability to treat podcasts like any other music file within the music app.

May 16, 2014 9:34 AM in response to Mark Sealey

You can use the podcasts app to make podcast playlists and the music app to make music playlists, but you can no longer make playlists that incorporate both podcasts and music.

The only work-around I have discovered is to 'Get Info' on individual podcasts & switch the 'Media Kind' from 'Podcast' to 'Music.' You can then integrate podcasts into music playlists in iTunes. This is very tedious, though, and annoying because you have to remember to switch the podcasts back to 'Podcast' after you have finished with the list unless you want your music folder littered with old podcasts.

This technique is so much trouble that I hardly use it anymore. I really miss interleaving short podcasts with pick-me-up music for my long runs!!

May 16, 2014 1:16 PM in response to jayare

I agree!

It's hard enough to juggle earpieces, expensive hardware and belts (etc) for keys (etc) with software when exercising.

Particulary since most running log apps can't control Playlists directly.

Which to launch, then, start first…!

The simpler and better-integrated such handling is, the better.

It's tempting to think the changes are part of Apple's bigger plans to 'break up' iTunes, which has become unweildy, given all the functionality it's had to grow to encompass - when compared with a simple audio manager ten years or so ago.

May 20, 2014 10:16 AM in response to emeralds1

If I had known of this problem, I wouldn't have updated to iOS 7. Apple does NOT know best in all cases. When I work out, I want to mix podcasts with music. I bet the engineers never thought of that... Not being able to do this has been a real problem. I wonder if this works better on an Android.

Thanks to the comments on this thread I got it to work.

I first set up the playlist in iTunes and I mix music and podcasts. Then in the playlist (on iTunes) I control-click on each podcast, select "get info" and change the type to music.

I don't do it in Podcasts and then try to add them from the music library to a playlist. There's too much searching to do.

No way to create a playlist with both podcasts and music?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.