Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Will iTunes Radio work with Snow Leopard?

I don't see the Radio button in iTunes 11.1 (126).

Thanks.

iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core i3, Mac OS X (10.6.8), 12GB RAM, iPhone 3gs, iPhone 4s

Posted on Sep 18, 2013 6:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 18, 2013 11:52 PM

Unfortunately, no.

Check the last line.

From the "Read Before You Install iTunes.rtf" file included with the download:

iTunes requirements

Hardware:

• Mac computer with an Intel processor
  • To play 720p HD video, an iTunes LP, or iTunes Extras, a 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo or faster processor is required
  • To play 1080p HD video, a 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo or faster processor and 2GB of RAM is required
  • Screen resolution of 1024x768 or greater; 1280x800 or greater is required to play an iTunes LP or iTunes Extras
  • Broadband Internet connection to use the iTunes Store
  • Apple combo drive or SuperDrive to create audio, MP3, or back-up CDs; some non-Apple CD-RW recorders may also work

Software:

• OS X version 10.6.8 or later
  • 400MB of available disk space
  • iTunes in the Cloud, iTunes Match, and iTunes Radio availability may vary by country
  • iTunes Radio requires OS X version 10.7 or later.
30 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 18, 2013 11:52 PM in response to Alfredo Jahn

Unfortunately, no.

Check the last line.

From the "Read Before You Install iTunes.rtf" file included with the download:

iTunes requirements

Hardware:

• Mac computer with an Intel processor
  • To play 720p HD video, an iTunes LP, or iTunes Extras, a 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo or faster processor is required
  • To play 1080p HD video, a 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo or faster processor and 2GB of RAM is required
  • Screen resolution of 1024x768 or greater; 1280x800 or greater is required to play an iTunes LP or iTunes Extras
  • Broadband Internet connection to use the iTunes Store
  • Apple combo drive or SuperDrive to create audio, MP3, or back-up CDs; some non-Apple CD-RW recorders may also work

Software:

• OS X version 10.6.8 or later
  • 400MB of available disk space
  • iTunes in the Cloud, iTunes Match, and iTunes Radio availability may vary by country
  • iTunes Radio requires OS X version 10.7 or later.

Sep 19, 2013 6:29 AM in response to Alfredo Jahn

It isn't that Apple can't get iTunes radio to work with 10.6 - as you say - they want you to upgrade. Apple isn't the only one who wants you to upgrade. A large number of 3rd party software vendors have announced that their support of 10.6 ends when Mavericks ships. 10.6 is Apple's XP so to speak. Lots of people find it sufficient for their needs but Apple wants to close the books on it. It is time to move on.

Sep 20, 2013 5:20 AM in response to Alfredo Jahn

Alfredo Jahn wrote:

Wow. It always amazes me that...

It always amazes me that people expect their old Macs running old versions of Mac OS X to run each and every new fangled thing that is released today and thereafter!

maupini gave you one workaround, but you are still not satisfied.

How about you partition your hard drive and install Lion or Mt. Lion into the new partition and "dual-boot" into it and play iTunes Radio?

Sep 20, 2013 6:42 AM in response to MlchaelLAX

MlchaelLAX wrote:

It always amazes me that people expect their old Macs running old versions of Mac OS X to run each and every new fangled thing that is released today and thereafter!

Wow, don't take this so personal. My point is that Apple suports Window's old OSs but not its own. Just wierd if you ask me. Its not like I'm running Panther. :-) Do you really think that iTunes Radio could not be made to work on 10.6? The machine is 64 bit for cryan out loud and the OS should be able to support it if it can be made to work on XP. Lol.

I don't have a lot of extra space on my main drive. I would love to try ML on another partition. Can I do that on an external drive? The problem is I have a lot of apps that I use professionally and don't wnat them to break. I don't know if this has changed or not, but I also remember hearing that ML was a App Store download.

I really could care less about iTunes Radio.I use Spotify at home anyway. Radio seems to work fine on my iPhone 4s with iOS7.

Cheers!

Sep 20, 2013 6:45 AM in response to dwb

dwb wrote:

So your computer can run 10.8 but you choose not to. External drives aren't expensive - move some stuff off the internal drive. I can understand not upgrading to Lion, like Leopard it was a change with lots of rough edges. Mt Lion smoothed out lots of the rough spots.

I'll reasearch to see if I can put ML on an external drive. If I can, I will give it a try. I was kind of waiting for Mavericks to make the final move. I have moved a lot of my stuff to an external drive already.

Thanks.

Sep 20, 2013 7:11 AM in response to Alfredo Jahn

Not ridiculous really. Apple chose to support Win7 and WinXP gets to go along for the ride because with each new version of Windows Microsoft builds in backwards compatibility. That's why it finds itself trying to convince people to ugprade - why give Microsoft more money if my computer works fine with WinXP even with new softwware?

Apple meanwhile is moving the platform forward with new technology. Notice how many Mac developers are dropping support for 10.6 - first because their numbers are dwindling and second because Apple is adding new technologies to the OS leaving developers with 2 choices: 1) drop 10.6, 2) build one program for 10.6 and another for newer versions.

Moving forward and leaving old tech behind can be painful for the consumer but it has a payoff too. Our OS is less bloated, less bogged down, and less buggy than Windows.

Sep 20, 2013 7:26 AM in response to Alfredo Jahn

Alfredo Jahn wrote:

MlchaelLAX wrote:

Wow, don't take this so personal...

Wow, don't take this so personal!

In case you did not notice, I was repeating YOUR vernacular both times. So maybe YOU should not take this so personal!

I could expand upon dwb's precise description in response to your continued dilemna about Windows (go get a Windoze computer for Cheese sake!), but given your own response to your OP:

Alfredo Jahn wrote:

I really could care less about iTunes Radio.I use Spotify at home anyway...

...why bother?!?

Will iTunes Radio work with Snow Leopard?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.