Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS7 and Volvo Car Connection

I have an iPhone 5, and updated to iOS 7 this afternoon. I also have a 2011 Volvo XC70, which has an integarted car connection--plug a sync cable in a USB port. However, with iOS7, the behavior has become quite odd:

ActionBevavior on iOS 6Behavior on iOS 7
Plug in and set stereo to USB modePlays current song, displays song title on stereoDoes nothing until I hit "play on the phone", displays song title on stereo
Hit Skip forward on stereo or or steering wheelSkips to next song, updates displayUpdates the display to the next song in playlist, but does not change the song playing (dispaly on phone updates)
Hit skip backward once on stereo or steering wheelStarts song over, display stays sameStarts song over, displays stays the same (however, if I skipped forward first, the playing song restarts, but the dispay shows whatever it was showing before)
Hit skip backward twice on stereo or steering wheelGoes to previous song in the playlist, display updatesStarts playing song over, but display moves to prior song in the playlist.

("Dispaly" refers to the dispaly on the stereo, showing track information. The iPhone display shows whatever is currently playing.)

As this is a three-year-old car, "replacing the accessory" isn't exaclty an option. The behavior with the display suggests, to me, a bug rather than an inherent incompatibility.

Any ideas?

iPhone 5, iOS 7

Posted on Sep 18, 2013 7:06 PM

8 replies

Sep 19, 2013 6:26 PM in response to MrGuilt

My situation is worse. Plugging the iPhone 5 with IOS 7 through the USB port on the car doesn't even do anything beyond displaying something like "Track 0" on the screen. No music and no sign that the car recognizes the iPhone at all. Bluetooth has a similar situation but at least it displays artiste name, track name and album name but doesn't play.

Sep 20, 2013 10:46 AM in response to aspri

Are you in a Volvo as well, or a differnet make?

As for your issue: When I fist plugged in my iPhone post-upgrade, it was a similar story--nothing but the track in the display. However, once I hit play on my iPhone, I got music. I can control it just fine from my phone; it's just using the in-dash/on-steering-wheel controls that don't work. Have you tried it from the phone?

Sep 20, 2013 7:45 PM in response to MrGuilt

In a S60. I upgraded my wife's iPhone 5 to IOS 7 and guess what. She had no problem. I proceeded to reboot my iPhone again and plugged it in twice before it started working as before. Steering wheel controls work perfectly again. I didn't do anything different so I'm not sure what happened before. Most bizarre.

Sep 28, 2013 11:09 AM in response to MrGuilt

I drive a Volvo S60 2013 with Sensus 2.0. I have iphone5 connected with sync cable to USB never had a problem before updating to IOS7, intermittently my car just stops recognising my phone is connected and just says 'connect iPhone' on the car display screen. I thought maybe cable is faulty, so I bought a new cable and still same issue! Any ideas why ios7 doesn't like my Volvo anymore? :( will there be a fix for this?

Feb 2, 2014 7:27 PM in response to elinor631

Do you have issues with your music played through bluetooth? I think that would be telling. I probably can't comment much about the software versions. I imagine they have different versions installed for different cars sold in different countries and I won't be of much help there.

I never really paid attention to whether if I got any alerts via the stereo for texts or reminders. However, I definitely think I am aware of them coming through somehow. I think it's a bad idea anyway but I can try it out for my car just to see whether if it does. Ditto maps. I don't typically drive with GPS but I can let you know once I try it out.

Mar 4, 2014 2:37 AM in response to MrGuilt

Hi all,

I'm also experiencing problems with the ipod feature of a volvo V40 CC model.

I have an iphone 5 with the latest ios 7 installed. Music is working with bluetooth, the phone charges using the usb but when I try to play music using the 'ipod connection' the sound is really strange (like it is "broken").

Before installing ios 7 it used to work.

Any idea on this?

iOS7 and Volvo Car Connection

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.