Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Phantom email solutions?????

After updating to iOS 7 on my iPhone 5, in my mail it shows that i have 10 unread emails, but after checking time after time there is no new mail. Any solutions?

Posted on Sep 18, 2013 8:13 PM

9 replies

Sep 21, 2013 4:51 AM in response to Jejeface

I have Comcast email and have been trying everyting to fix these phantom unread emails - here is what finally fixed my problem. I cant tell you what the perfect sequence is as I have tried everyting from deactivating and rebooting, marking all as read (nice new feature) and even deleting the old email account and setting up a new one. You have to have a sense of humor here because the unread number sometimes gets worse before it gets better. What made the mose sense to me is that the new unread email count is somehow reading items from comacast that I am not being able to download. What should work would be to go into your comcast account and mark all of your email as read and then set-up a new account on your iphone. That may not be what you want to do if you leave unread items as I do for follow up. So I went into my email setting on IOS7, selected the account I was having problems with, went into advanced setting and under deleted messages selected the "NEVER" option (i belive the default is "after one week". After doing this I found a bunch of undread messages suddenly appearing on my phone. I then used the new feature in IOS 7 to mark them all as read. (while viewing your inbox - select the EDIT link top right, after select the MARK ALL link bottom left, and then the Mark All as READ feature. This was my final fix - GOOD LUCK!!!

Oct 6, 2013 8:34 AM in response to Jejeface

Always a new snag when upgrading to a new IOS. Obviously, I'm also getting the phantom badged unread message in my inbox. I have tried the fixes that worked for everyone else, and had temporarily solved my problem, but like a bad penny, returned within minutes afterwards.

So far, the only fix that worked for me was to use only IMAP for the problem email accounts. So far, the issue has not retuned after several days.

FYI: I have 7 email accounts, and the problem had only affected my Comcast POP account. The other 6 are a combination of IMAP and POP accounts from varied hosts.

Oct 29, 2013 4:31 PM in response to Amhvillage

Amhvillage wrote:

I then used the new feature in IOS 7 to mark them all as read. (while viewing your inbox - select the EDIT link top right, after select the MARK ALL link bottom left, and then the Mark All as READ feature. This was my final fix - GOOD LUCK!!!

This was driving me nuts, but the above advice turned out to be all I needed. Still wish I knew though why Settings / Usage is telling me I have 400MB of e-mails when I don't store ANY locally! But at least my icon is zeroed out now.

🙂

Nov 25, 2013 9:53 PM in response to WAGinWNY

I have been into an Apple store today to ask for assistace deleting 634 Phantom emails on my Ipad.

First step was to go online to my server and delete all emails in my inbox. Save or move them if they are important.

Go to settings and delete the email account they are comming up on.

Come all the way out of settings and open email to confirm the account has been deleted

Go back in to settings and set up your email account again

Come all the way out of settings and open up your emails again and give it a chance to load

This cleared all of my phantom emails first time

GOOD LUCK

Feb 22, 2014 11:40 PM in response to Jejeface

Hi, I had the same problem. I tried everything, but it turned out to be an easy fix, at least for me. Open gmail, and hold your cursor over inbox, you know, where the list says inbox, starred, important etc. in the lefthand side bar. A little arrow will appear just to the right of it. Click the arrow and select display unread first. If anything comes up, you can take care of it. Then do it all again, but this time select default. All the phantom stuff disappeared for me. Good luck.

Phantom email solutions?????

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.