Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

5S backward compatibility

Unsurprised to see that iPhone 5S supposedly requires OS 10.6.8. Anyone know if that's 100% hard truth? Or will it kinda sorta work with OS 10.5.8 and iTunes 10.6.3? Yeah, I need a desktop upgrade but right now I'd just like to do the phone…

iPhone 4

Posted on Sep 18, 2013 8:39 PM

2 replies

Sep 19, 2013 6:39 AM in response to gdgmacguy

Yes, I know. In the very same domain as this conversation. 😝 Matter of fact, that's where I read that the 5S requires OS 10.6.8!

I've been syncing my iPhone 4 with iTunes 10.6.3 since I got it almost 3 years ago. Hard to believe the 5S won't play with my system at all. If there are some compromised features I can live with that for a while. If it's a complete fail, then I have to either wait on the phone or bite the bullet on the desktop upgrade. That's the decision I'm looking for help with. There are plenty of tech blogs I could search but I'm sure it would be in vain—no one at TechCrunch and their ilk is worrying about Mac addicts with a pathological attachment to a Power Mac G5. 😎

5S backward compatibility

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.