Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When is Mavericks available?

I just want to know when can I get it and is it free for all macs?

Also, I thought they said they would make iwork for free, is that ture?

Posted on Sep 18, 2013 8:49 PM

9 replies

Sep 18, 2013 10:01 PM in response to Alvin110

As an example, if you have a Mac with Mountain Lion version 10.8.2, then updates to 10.8.3, 10.8.4, etc are free.

If you buy a Mac shortly before a new OS is released, in the past Apple has had a program which will allow you to get the new OS free if you buy your Mac during a specific period.

Mountain Lion is 10.8.x; Mavericks is a new OS - it is not an update to Mountain Lion. Apple has not announced any pricing information and we are not allowed to speculate. In the past, a new OS has been priced at $20.

Who is "the guy" - an Apple employee?

Sep 19, 2013 12:49 AM in response to Topher Kessler

There's only one way it can be free. If Apple gives a special promotion like they did with Lion buyers. That's if you just bought your Mac with Mountain Lion and Mavericks came out about a week or 2 later then Apple would let you download it for free.

Like when I bought my Mac it came with Lion and at the same time Mountain Lion came out right after mine shipped with Lion and Apple as a promotion gave the Mountain Lion download for free if they had purchased a brand new Mac within a couple of months after it shipped with Lion.

Other than that you have to purchase it.

Also an update is an incremental change withing the same operatiing system whereas the 2nd number after the deciman doesn't change.

An upgrade is the next move over to the next newer operating system where the number after the decimal point changes.

When is Mavericks available?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.