Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Appstore can't find new updates

Hello,

when there are updates from Apple available, the Mac Appstore on my Macs (iMac, MacBook Pro) can't find them, unless I switch to an admin-account.

Is this behaviour normal? Before Mountain Lion, I could update my Apps from any account.

Greetings

Joerg

iTunes-OTHER, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5), iMac 2,7 GHz Intel Core i5

Posted on Sep 18, 2013 10:50 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 18, 2013 10:53 PM

Yes. Application installation and updating requires an Admin account.

6 replies

Sep 18, 2013 11:19 PM in response to Kappy

Thank you.

But the problem is: Mac Appstore won't even show me that there are updates available, if I'm not running the admin-account. If I didn't read Apple News sites, I wouldn't know and these updates would never be installed, because I usually don't use my admin-account.

Before Mountain Lion, Mac Appstore would show the updates and ask for my admin-password if I tried to install them.

So I guess there is something wrong with Mac Appstore on my system.

Greetings

Joerg

Sep 19, 2013 1:07 AM in response to seventy one

Thank you all for the hints.

I'm using Macs now for over 13 years, and I think this is very inconvinient and undermining the security of a Mac.

Why should Apple hide those updates on standard accounts? It could take days or even weeks before someone discovers there are security updates for his Mac available. This is a real step backwards in my opinion.

Hope they will fix it with Mavericks.

Greetings

Joerg

Sep 27, 2013 2:06 AM in response to joergfromG

O.K. I finally have the solution.

Seems like the problem was the firmware of my airport base station ⚠.

I hadn't updated it for a while and two days ago the airport app started and showed me there was an update to version 7.6.4.

I installed it, and after that, my iMac began showing me updates in the Mac AppStore, although I was logged into my normal user account. Enter admin password, enter Apple ID, and presto: updates where installing, just like in the good ol' times.

What the firmware of my airport station has to do with the ability of MacOS to find updates? Don't ask me...

Mac Appstore can't find new updates

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.