Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 4 completely dead after update to iOS 7, anything to be done?

I have an iPhone 4 that I updated to iOS 7 today. Everything was going well; I'd been using the phone normally for a few hours. I was trying to add a picture of a friend from an iMessage to their contact card, and was at the point where I'd hit okay, and was just waiting for it to complete. It took longer than expected, but I just let it sit, and then my screen went blank and turned to this:

User uploaded file

The lines are not static (they appear to be moving horizontally, but not vertically), the screen is flickering, and the phone is completely unresponsive. I have tried force restarting by holding down the home and top button for up to a minute, plugging the phone into the wall socket, connecting the phone to my computer, and nothing has caused even the slightest change. I can't even get the screen to turn off.

My question is basically, is there any hope of recovering my phone? Is there anything I can do now? If I just wait for it to die, is there a chance I can restore it?

Posted on Sep 18, 2013 11:11 PM

16 replies

Sep 19, 2013 4:57 AM in response to Stagamancer

I have the exact same problem with my iPhone 4, when I tried to add a picture to a contact from iMessage. I don't get the lines. I just have a black screen and the phone is totally unresponsive. I have tried the usual, holding both buttons, plugging into a power socket, plugging into a Macbook. Absolutely nothing.

I think I will be booking a session with the genius bar.

iPhone 4 completely dead after update to iOS 7, anything to be done?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.