Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 7 defaulting to old iCloud email address and I can not remove it or reset

Hi, since up-dating my iPhone 5 to iOS 7, iCloud shows (greyed out) my old email address used for my Apple ID.

Becuase of the new 'Find My iPhone' feature I can not remove it or reset it. I'm asked for a password but of course that old password is not assocaited to an active account anymore.

I backed up to latest iTunes but again becuase of the new feature I am unable to reset and restore from back up my iPhone without that old inactive password. My old password will not work becuase I have a new iCloud / Apple ID email address.

I am also unable to sign in to iMessage using my Apple ID, keeps telling me to check my network connection, which is fine. I assume Apple servers just in major overdrive with downloads, or is the problem connected to my main issue above?

Anyone else getting the same problem? Anyone got a fix?

Thanks

Chris

iPhone 5, 1 x for me and 1 x for my wife

Posted on Sep 18, 2013 11:31 PM

48 replies

Sep 18, 2013 11:57 PM in response to N.Monkey

Same for me, iTunes store uses my correct Apple ID. If this is a bug, looking forward to a quick fix. If not, hope Apple are reviewing this to let us know how we get around the security feature causing it without challenging said security feature. I can't imagine Apple will wish to share a reset feature that negates the reason they created it. My local Apple store is 25 miles away... hope I don't need to make a trip! Fingers crossed.

Sep 19, 2013 8:33 AM in response to HappyPig0

Having the same problem. iCloud login has an old apple id and can't change it. Also can't use the password for the old id. As a result I can't use iCloud or reset the phone, because of find my iphone using the same id. Hoping this will be resolved soon. Have booked in to see an apple genius next week just in case

Sep 19, 2013 8:50 AM in response to 4Jacqui

The only solution I've seen that seems to consistently work is the one posted by Brackers28 here: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5320981?answerId=23020591022#23020591022. This only works if you still have access to your old email account. If you don't, you'll have to have Apple help you reset the password for your old account so you can turn off Find My iPhone.

Sep 19, 2013 9:09 AM in response to HappyPig0

Actually, I should have added, that for some reason my verfication process with Apple support meant they could not make a reset action their end for me, and in the end we got locked out with too many failed verfication attempts. This may not be the case with you guys if you get in touch directly or see a genuius. That said, they are still requesting their engineers overcome the issue so I will make an up-date when I know more.

Sep 19, 2013 12:01 PM in response to HappyPig0

I had the same problem and fixed it by resetting and deleting all content from phone, then connecting to iTunes (new version) and restoring the phone from my last backup, when it rebooted it still had the wrong email, so I skipped it, but then when I went into iCloud, although the email was still incorrect, it allowed me to delete the account without asking for a password, I then set up iCloud with the correct email and all is good again.

Holding back on iPad update as I use it mostly for music, synth and sequencers with audiobus, heard that is still very buggy.

Sep 19, 2013 12:09 PM in response to SteelyP

Yeah Apple tried doing that with me then I reminded them that I have the "Find My iPhone' feature activated which first needs deactivating - alas the dreaded password request against the old email address is wanted. But there is no password for said obsolete email address :-( It's a fun one this !@£$%^&

Can't even do as randers4 above highlighted becuase the old email address is not active either!

As for my iPad... no issues whatsoever!!! Weird ha!

Sep 19, 2013 12:45 PM in response to HappyPig0

I am having the same freaking problem. I even tried logging into icloud.com on my laptop and clicking "remove this device" Apple support said this would work, and after a restart I would be prompted to enter a new email and password. No dice. And now my iphone is not associated with icloud.com anymore, so I can't even do a remote wipe (if that was an option)... This is getting rediculous

Sep 19, 2013 12:57 PM in response to HappyPig0

My issue was exactly the same, old email, email account no longer exists, new password didn't work, I knew my old password and it didn't work, also it wouldn't authenticate my questions (failed at DoB)! but doing what I explained after a restore allowed me to turn-off "find my iphone" and delete the account, I think without a password, or if not, it accepted the current password associated with my "correct" account.

iOS 7 defaulting to old iCloud email address and I can not remove it or reset

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.