Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ios 7.0 : Multiple Facetime on same contact

Hi everyone,

before iOS 7.0, I was able to choose wich facetime adress I want to call in a single contact.

Exemple : my wife has an iPhone and an iPad, so I was able to choose "Call iPhone" by calling the phone number, or "Call iPad" by calling her email.

With ios 7.0, I can't do this anymore. I have only one option to make a Facetime call ...

That's quite strange ...

Am I doing something wrong ?

Or is it to make it easier that Apple decided to change this function.

Maybe they think that I will call every device shes has and she will answer the one close to her.

Posted on Sep 19, 2013 12:30 AM

2 replies

Feb 26, 2014 6:46 PM in response to akdmks

So, I just got new 5S's for my wife and I and things are all messed up with Facetime. When I Facetime my wife from my Phone, it FaceTimed my computer (obviously not her phone number). When I FaceTimed her from the computer, it Facetimed my phone even though my contact information does not contain any of the same numbers or emails. Solution: I noticed that if you go into FacTime settings, my wife's number was checked, so I unchecked that because I don't want her FaceTime coming to my phone. That worked and I did manage to FaceTime her but it still FaceTimed my computer at the same time. So, I went into FaceTime preference in my computer and unchecked my wife's telephone number from that too. It all works perfectly. I'm not sure why it would default this way but now that I understand that each device can control the Apple contact info that comes to it, it all makes sense.

Mar 8, 2014 11:00 AM in response to SGoodness

For some reason, this is still an issue. Even though I have gone to all devices and specified the telephone numbers and/or email addresses I want associated with Chat and FaceTime, it occassionally sends a message asking if you want to add an address. If it does it (for example) when my kids are on our main computer and they make a change (because they don't know what the dialog means), it becomes a cascading effect of multiple communications to all devices. Very confusing and very frustrating.

To be honest, I think it's about time Apple came up with a new scheme of how to associate with computers and devices. It's not as straightforward as it used to be. My personal example:

- My iPhone = Tel. # + iCloud email

- My wife's iPhone = Tel. #

- My MacBook Pro = Tel. # + iCloud email

- My wife's iPad = Ideally, this would be a unique point of contact but muy wife's Tel. # is the only option.

- Our Home Computer = A problem. It's based on who is uysing it and we all share a single account.

I'd also like the ability to centrally manage, so that I don't have to phycially fix issues by visting every device. Impossible when I was travelling for work. Let's hope this settles down. It's annyoing the heck out of me right now.

ios 7.0 : Multiple Facetime on same contact

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.