Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Updates to iOS7 last night and had full Charge on.... This morning ive only got 48% is this going to be a big battery drainer?

Updates to iOS7 last night and had full Charge on.... This morning ive only got 48% is this going to be a big battery drainer?

thanks guys.... hopefully it isent but ive got feeling it is 😟

hope its not

iPhone 4S, iOS 5.1.1

Posted on Sep 19, 2013 12:44 AM

16 replies

Sep 19, 2013 6:35 AM in response to Sam-Parker

Me too, I charged it fully before the update and kept it on USB during the update, after some playing around at 8pm the battery was down to 60%. 55% by the time I went to bed, I switched the phone off fully before bed. In the morning after switching back on I noticed it was down to 52% and then through out the day so far it has been dropping fast. Just after lunch I had to put it on charge because it had gotten down to 16%. They use I had with it today was about 5 text messages and a 2 minute call.

This is terrible, it used to go several days without needing a charge

Sep 19, 2013 2:06 PM in response to Sam-Parker

I'm also experiencing ridiculous battery drain after upgrading to iOS 7 with iPhone 5. I've turned off Wifi, Dynamic Wallpaper, set Reduce Motion to On, disabled Background App Refresh, turned off location services, always making sure to manually kill all running apps, set screen brightness very low. Still seeing the battery drain, on stand-by of about 10% in 30 minutes.

100% fully charged after upgrade. Overnight it completely drained - no usage AT ALL! What the heck? I also used to go 2-3 days without having to look for a charger with average data/voice usage on default settings (most things turned on). I hope there's a solution for this.

Should I go back to my trusty iPhone 4 running iOS 6?

Please help! Signed,

Tired of being laughed at by Android users

Sep 19, 2013 7:46 PM in response to Sam-Parker

I've experienced the same thing on my iPhone 5 since updating to iOS 7 yesterday. It must be a bug in the software for this model of iPhone. This drain is totally unacceptable. I've turned off the same features to attempt to save every drop of energy possible to no avail. It is still almost half the battery life I had in iOS 6 since I purchased the phone earlier this year. At this point I feel we can only hope they fix the issue ASAP. If not I will seriously consider reverting back to iOS 6. Otherwise my phone will not make it halfway through the day. Any solutions whatsoever are very welcome.

Sep 20, 2013 8:54 AM in response to Sam-Parker

Since upgrading yesterday I have had to charge my phone three times. Everything turned off. In 90 minutes today I went from 100% battery to 82% and made one 7 minute phone call, read two text messages and one email. Immediately closed those apps after using them. Either going to roll back to IOS6 or get a Morphi battery case. Either way, this is ridiculous.

Sep 25, 2013 9:00 AM in response to Sam-Parker

FIXED!!!

In addition to the other things I previously mentioned:

Turned OFF Wifi (Settings>Wi-Fi>Off)

Turned OFF Dynamic Wallpaper (Settings>Wallpapers & Brightness>Choose a wallpaper from the Stills collection)

Turned ON Reduce Motion (Settings>General>Accessibility>Reduce Motion>set to ON)

Turned OFF Background App Refresh (Settings>General>Background App Refresh>Off)

Turned OFF Location Services (Settings>General>Privacy>Location Services>Off)

Manually kill all running apps frequently (Double tap HOME button, swipe running apps UP to close)

Set screen brightness very low (Settings>Wallpapers & Brightness>set slider about 50-60%, make sure Auto-Brightness is ON)

I found that disabling Mail Fetch stopped the ridiculous battery drain.

Settings>Mail, Contacts, Calendars>Fetch New Data>Push ->set to disabled

Now my iPhone 5 has about the same battery life as I experienced before the upgrade. I can still go into Mail and it will update just fine like before.

Hopefully this helps. I'm hoping this is just temporary and Apple fixes this with 7.0.1.

Sep 25, 2013 9:33 AM in response to scooby32804

Like everyone here, I've had the battery issues also. I checked in to reverting back to the previous operating system, but Apple looks at that as a downgrade and nullifies your warranty...so, very helpful there!

Scooby, I had a number of your fixes already, but just applied a couple others that I didn't have on your list. I hope this helps. iPhone users used to laugh that I had two phones, the 5 aaaand the Galaxy S4....now with the iPhone pooping out by noon...who's laughing now! At least I have SOMETHING that works! Lol ;-)

Thanks for your info, Scooby!

Get on it Apple! Steve Jobs would not have been pleased...

Oct 3, 2013 3:32 PM in response to Sam-Parker

Same thing here on IPad Mini 64bit. I tried the Airplane Mode trick above and am now waiting for my mini to charge up so I can test out that fix. To me, having to turn off half the functions of your IPhone or IPad is NOT fix--it's crap! Good job on the new OS, Apple. Since Steve died, you can't seem to get your hockychips together...I personally feel the many motion changes to the OS were simple changed just to say, "It's new...it's exciting..." and don't actually enhance device use in any way.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.